Chapter 19

─────⋅˖ ݁𖥔.☁︎.𖥔 ݁ ˖⋅─────

In the grand library where Amren's lessons with Master Theron usually unfolded, the air was filled with a tangible sense of history.

On this day, however, a different air enveloped Amren – one of fatigue, her usually bright eyes dulled by a restless night spent grappling with the fears she'd unearthed with Varock the night before, the mysterious statue, the hidden chamber under the library, what her parents were up to, her head was spinning.

As they dove into the lesson, Amren's responses, typically quick and sharp, were slower, her mind clearly elsewhere. The rich tapestries of history that usually captivated her seemed to fade against the backdrop of her current preoccupations.

Master Theron, a man of keen perception honed over years of teaching, noticed this change. His voice, usually steady and commanding, softened with concern.

"Amren, you don't seem as engaged with the material as you normally are. Is everything alright?" His question cut through the historical discourse, a direct probe into her state of mind.

Amren hesitated, an internal battle raging. She wanted answers, yet she feared what those answers might reveal. Taking a deep breath that felt like the first true breath since her world had started to shift, she made her request.

"Master Theron, would you humor me for the rest of the lesson?"

Master Theron's eyebrows lifted in mild surprise, but he nodded, signaling his assent. "Of course, Amren. What would you like to discuss?"

Gathering her courage, Amren ventured into uncharted territory, picking one of the most harmless topics that was on her mind. "Could you tell me about the present events? Specifically, the dynamics within the upper circles of Talseth?"

The shift in topic piqued Master Theron's interest, his eyes narrowing with an understanding that went beyond scholarly curiosity.

"Certainly," he replied. "There have been rumblings of discontent among the noble families. It seems tensions are rising, with talks of shifting alliances and potential power plays."

Master Theron, sensing the depth of Amren's inquiry, leaned back in his chair, his eyes reflecting the flicker of the candlelight.

"The rumblings of discontent among the noble families have their roots in Talseth's history," he began, his voice carrying the weight of years of knowledge. "You see, the divide between the upper and lower city is not just a matter of geography. It's a chasm of ideals, resources, and power."

He gestured towards the rows of ancient tomes that lined the walls of the library. "Centuries ago, this divide was less pronounced. The city was more integrated, with a fluidity between the classes. But as time passed, the upper city began consolidating power, establishing rigid structures to maintain control over resources and influence. The lower city, in turn, became a place of resilience, where people thrived despite the lack of aristocratic privilege."

Amren listened intently, her mind racing to connect past events with the present situation. "Has there always been tension like we see today?" she asked, her voice tinged with a newfound urgency.

Master Theron nodded, his gaze turning somber. "Tensions have ebbed and flowed through the ages, but what we're witnessing now is unprecedented. The current climate is a result of several factors – economic pressures, the rise of new powers within the lower city, and a growing sense of injustice among its populace. The nobles, feeling their control slipping, are likely seeking ways to reassert their dominance."

The room felt smaller as the gravity of his words settled in. Amren's thoughts turned to her parents, to the secretive meeting and the whispered conversation. "And these power plays... they could involve anything from economic sabotage to outright conflict?"