Chapter 9

─────⋅˖ ݁𖥔.☁︎.𖥔 ݁ ˖⋅─────

After completing the rigorous intellectual task of crafting her own essay and aiding Elian, Amren's mind was already transitioning to the physical demands of her nightly training session with Varock. The evening air was cool against her skin as she made her way to the training grounds, her steps a familiar rhythm echoing in the quiet of the night.

As she approached the training area, a different rhythm caught her attention - the sound of hushed yet intense whispers. Intrigued and cautious, Amren slowed her pace. The voices were muffled, but their urgent tone was unmistakable.

Curiosity piqued, she moved closer, careful to keep her presence unnoticed.

Hidden in the shadow of a large tree, Amren could make out two figures standing near the entrance of the training grounds. The taller, more imposing silhouette was unmistakably Varock, his posture rigid, indicative of a serious conversation. The other figure was smaller, but carried an air of authority that Amren recognized all too well – it was her father.

Her heart skipped a beat at this unexpected pairing. Her father's involvement in such a clandestine meeting, especially with Varock, was both alarming and puzzling.

"...it's of utmost importance," her father's voice carried a note of urgency. "The situation within Talseth is more complex than we anticipated. Your discretion in this matter is paramount."

Varock's response was a low rumble, his usual stoicism seemingly strained. "I understand the gravity of the situation. But operating in the upper city, especially under these conditions, is risky. If anything goes awry, it won't just be me on the line."

The conversation was cryptic, the details shrouded in ambiguity. Amren strained to catch more, to piece together the puzzle presented before her. The mention of a mission in the upper city, the secrecy of their meeting - it all pointed to something significant unfolding, something that directly involved Varock and, by extension, her family.

Her father's voice was firm, a command thinly veiled as advice. "That's a risk we have to take. You know what's at stake here. We can't afford any missteps."

Amren's mind raced with questions but before she could ponder further, the figures began to part ways, their conversation seemingly concluded. Varock's heavy steps retreated towards the training grounds, while her father walked in the opposite direction, disappearing into the night.

Amren remained hidden for a moment longer, processing the fragments of conversation she had overheard. The urge to ask Varock was strong, but she knew such a direct approach might not yield answers and could put Varock in a difficult position.

With a deep breath, Amren stepped out from her hiding spot, her mind a whirlwind of speculation and concern. As she continued towards the training grounds to meet Varock, her thoughts were no longer focused on the physical challenges that awaited her but on the enigmatic situation unfolding around her.

As Amren approached Varock, her footsteps slightly hesitant, a storm of emotions raged within her. The usually comforting sight of the training grounds, under the blanket of night, now seemed like a stage for hidden dramas and unsolved mysteries. The dim light cast long, wavering shadows, mirroring the turmoil in her thoughts.

Varock, standing tall and imposing amidst the training equipment, turned to greet her. His sharp eyes, always so perceptive in combat, quickly noted the change in her demeanor.

"Amren," he said, his voice a deep rumble of concern. "Is everything alright?"

She paused, standing before him. The urge to confront him with the overheard conversation was strong, but caution held her back. Her trust in Varock was a hard-earned treasure, not to be squandered on unverified suspicions.