𝐈. the shadows of solitude

CHAPTER ONE ——
THE SHADOWS OF SOLITUDE !

┊͙ 🌫️ ˖ . *. ⋆

( "you're just special" )

PARKER PÉREZ WAS ALWAYS A TROUBLED KID.

From the very beginning, her life had been a story of contrasts— a delicate dance between light and darkness. Her father's absence marked her entrance into the world, leaving her to tread the path of life without his guidance. Parker never knew the curve of his smile or the sound of his voice.

Her mom didn't talk about her father much until she was a little older when the news broke that he had died just before Parker was born. That he had been sick for a while.

Her mother, Juliette— an incredible woman— spent most of her time working to provide for the two, striving to be both the anchor and the sail of their small family. Juliette was both Parker's mother and best friend. Parker doubted she'd ever encounter another woman as beautiful and kind-hearted as her mother. Juliette was the only one who didn't get angry with her for her actions; she accepted her daughter with all her flaws.

Four years ago, the winds of change swept through Parker's life once more, carrying away a piece of her soul. She and Juliette had just relocated from Quebec, in Canada—where Parker grew up—to New York... in America. There had been an incident she had caused. her mom thought it would be best to just leave the country. Plus, her aunt lived there and she told them there were better educational opportunities there. Schools that'd help Parker more than the ones available in Quebec.

While she didn't necessarily agree, Parker trusted her mother's decision to move.

But she missed Canada a lot.

Parker spent countless hours exploring its forests, hiking its hills and mountains, and marvelling at its wildlife. They lived in a cabin just coming out of the largest and most beautiful forest in Quebec. There were a few more cabins around, almost like a small town where Parker knew everybody. It was a great community.

Or at least it was.

Sure, New York may boast bright lights and bustling streets, but it can never compare to the serene beauty of the wilderness just outside the window. The snow-capped mountains, the icy rivers in the winter, the distant howl of wolves and the prancing of deer. Parker didn't think she'd make much of a good city girl.

She spoke French at home and school growing up. Luckily, her mother taught Parker parts of English as well, or the whole transition to America would have been a lot harder.

Shortly after settling into a small apartment, a few days before starting at a new school, tragedy struck. Juliette died, and Parker blamed herself. She couldn't even bear to think about the accident; none of it made sense. All she knew was that she was responsible for her mother's death, leaving her to be an orphan in the indifferent embrace of the world.

Parker had never felt so empty.

Her mother didn't deserve the fate she met; she deserved a long, happy life filled with joy and laughter. Juliette didn't deserve to die at the hands of her own child.

Summer vacations went from spontaneous adventures with her mom to periods of misery, as Parker was sent to live with her aunt, Amelia.

Amelia had her own family: a husband and two kids, twins named Miles and Madison. They were two years younger than Parker and were spoiled brats, to put it bluntly. Amelia and her husband, Noah, only ever cared for their own children. Parker didn't belong in their family, and they made sure she knew it... especially Noah. Parker was in no way blood-related to him, and he rarely acknowledged her. When he did, he would yell.