𝐈𝐕. the start of the end

CHAPTER FOUR ——
THE START OF THE END !

┊͙ 💧 ˖ . *. ⋆

( "your father never died, parker." )

PARKER FINALLY GOT 'HOME' FOR SUMMER BREAK.

As she stepped through the door, Miles and Madison were sprawled on the couch, immersed in a video game. They both said hello, but didn't say anything else. Parker would have asked how their school year was, though she knew they'd be annoyed if she interrupted their video game.

Parker wasn't considered a sibling to the twins— more so just a girl who lived in their house during summer break.

She headed to her small room with her suitcase and guitar in its case. There wasn't much decor in the room since Parker was only there two out of the twelve months of the year. She looked at the framed picture of her and her mom on the nightstand and smiled.

Parker was spending some time rustling through her suitcase and unpacking when there was a knock on her door. She hesitantly yelled come in, nervous since knocking usually came with bad news or an angry message.

Amelia opened the door, entering the room and closing the door behind her. She had a solemn look on her face, so Parker mentally prepared herself for the worst.

Though instead she asked, "How was school?"

Parker tried to hide the surprised look on her face. Her aunt was never interested in how her time away had been... Nobody was. "Oh, uh. It was pretty good. I tried really hard this year and did good on my exams." Parker explained, hoping to make her proud.

Amelia softly smiled, yet it disappeared just as fast as it appeared. "That's good." She paused. "Mr. Brunner called me." She said. Parker furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Why would he need to call my aunt? I genuinely didn't do anything this time, as far as I know, she thought. "He— um— told me to look out for you during the break."

Parker could tell she was hiding something. She was trying to paraphrase what Mr. Brunner had really said. She felt a spike of panic in her stomach as her mind flashed back to him telling her to stay safe this summer.

"Did anything happen at school that you need to tell me? You can tell me anything, don't be afraid." Amelia spoke calmly.

Parker froze in place on her bed. She had to remind herself to breathe. Amelia had never taken an interest in her like this before, Parker was dying to know what her teacher had said over the phone. She thought about Mrs. Dodds, but she could never tell her aunt that. Parker figured Amelia'd probably throw her into a mental hospital for being schizophrenic.

"I'm serious, Parker. It doesn't matter how crazy it sounds. You can tell me." Amelia spoke in a gentle tone, careful not to set the girl off. She knew how hot-headed Parker was, especially when she was back home.

Parker internally debated for a moment before deciding to tell her. She figured, what was the worst that could happen? She sends me away to a place for crazy people— which would be a more interesting summer than I would get staying here.

With trepidation, Parker poured out the story, every detail tumbling forth in a waterfall of words. She told her everything about Mrs. Dodds and Percy. Parker didn't think she had ever spoken for this long at a time in her few years of living here.