𝐗𝐈𝐈. parker and percy play 21 questions

CHAPTER TWELVE ——
PARKER AND PERCY PLAY
21 QUESTIONS !

┊͙ 🚍 ˖ . *. ⋆

( "are you scared of me?." )

EVERYONE WAS PRETTY MISERABLE THAT NIGHT.

They camped out in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. The ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers.

They'd taken some food and blankets from Aunty Em's, but they didn't dare light a fire to dry their damp clothes. The Furies and Medusa had provided enough excitement for one day. The group didn't want to attract anything else.

Parker didn't talk much, she wasn't exactly in the mood to engage in conversation with a certain boy she didn't enjoy being around. And Percy was talking a lot. Something Parker noticed about the boy, was that he couldn't sit in silence.

Percy didn't complain about Parker's quietness. The less he had to hear her odd mix of French and American accents, the better.

Finally, the group decided to sleep in shifts. Percy volunteered to take the first watch.

Annabeth curled up on the blankets and was snoring as soon as her head hit the ground.

Grover fluttered with his flying shoes to the lowest bough of a tree, put his back to the trunk, and stared at the night sky.

Parker wrapped herself in a blanket next to Annabeth and closed her eyes. Her mind was quite tired, yet it was especially difficult to try and rest with the squeaky voices of tween boys chatting.

They didn't even bother to whisper since they assumed both girls were asleep, so Parker heard the entirety of their conversation. "It makes me sad, Percy." Grover said.

"What does? The fact that you signed up for this stupid quest?" Percy replied.

"No. This makes me sad." Grover pointed at all the garbage on the ground. "And the sky. You can't even see the stars. They've polluted the sky. This is a terrible time to be a satyr."

"Oh, yeah. I guess you'd be an environmentalist."

Grover glared at Percy. "Only a human wouldn't be. Your species is clogging up the world so fast... ah, never mind. It's useless to lecture a human. At the rate things are going, I'll never find Pan."

"Pam? Like the cooking spray?"

"Pan!" he cried indignantly. "P-A-N. The great god Pan! What do you think I want a searcher's license for?"

Percy asked questions about the search for Pan. Grover gladly answered everything, talking with such passion for the God of Wild Places. He explained how Pan disappeared two thousand years ago. Parker would have frowned if she wasn't pretending to be asleep since she figured Pan wouldn't be found now if satyrs had been searching for two thousand years.

After a moment of silence, Percy changed the subject. "Do you know why Parker has such a problem with me?"

It took everything in the girl to not react with her face. She stayed completely still, her breathing steady. Percy talking about her was the last thing she expected.

"Well, you started that rumour about her. You know she didn't take that lightly." Grover responded. "But who cares? Some people just don't like each other, it's okay... Plus, you don't seem to be trying to make friends with her either."