THIRTY TWO

My client, Debbie, hands me a cup of coffee before we go over a few more points to conclude our appointment. I express my gratitude, and she takes a seat at the table.

"Since he passed away, I can't look at my home the same way," she says, holding back tears. "My family suggests that I should sell my home and buy a new one. I'm afraid that if I do, I'll forget him," she adds in a monotone tone.

Typically, my meetings with clients are more upbeat, but Debbie recently lost her boyfriend in an accident, and she's looking to me to transform her home into a new beginning.

I take a moment to express my condolences to Debbie, offering a sympathetic smile. "I can understand how difficult this must be for you, Debbie. Losing someone close is never easy, and it's completely normal to feel a strong connection to your home, as it holds memories of your time together."

I pull out a notebook and pen, ready to discuss her thoughts and concerns. "Let's talk about the aspects of your home that trigger these emotions. Are there specific rooms or items that make it challenging for you? And are there any particular elements you'd like to retain or incorporate into the transformation to keep a connection with his memory?"

As she begins to share her feelings and memories associated with different parts of the house, I make notes and ask further questions to understand her vision for the transformation. I also reassure her that the goal is not to erase memories but to create a space that honors the past while providing a fresh start for the future.

"We can work on a design that incorporates meaningful elements, perhaps creating a memorial or dedicating a specific area to his memory. This way, you can have a space that reflects your journey together while also allowing for new beginnings."

I propose discussing specific changes, such as rearranging furniture, incorporating new decor, or even considering a fresh coat of paint to symbolize a new chapter. 

We discuss the possibility of repurposing certain items, perhaps by giving them new meaning or integrating them into the redesigned space. This not only adds a personal touch to the transformation but also allows Debbie to carry forward cherished elements from her shared history.

As we brainstorm ideas and outline potential changes, I encourage Debbie to visualize the end result – a home that pays homage to the past while embracing the possibilities of the future. 

I give her some time to collect herself, allowing the tears to flow if needed. "Remember, we're here to work through this together, and there's no rush. Your well-being is the priority. If you need a moment, take it. We can continue whenever you're ready."

Debbie looks up, her eyes still glistening with tears, but there's a hint of gratitude in her expression. "Thank you, Morgan. It means a lot to have someone understanding by my side during all of this. I never thought transforming my home could be so emotional."

I pick up my iPad and begin to show Debbie a series of design ideas and color palettes that reflect the serene, spa-like atmosphere she desires. Soft blues, greens, and neutral tones dominate the screen, creating a calming ambiance.

"As you mentioned wanting a relaxing, spa-like feel, how about we focus on a color scheme that promotes tranquility and peace? I've chosen a few options here that might resonate with you," I say, swiping through the various possibilities.

I then move on to a section specifically dedicated to creating a yoga and relaxation space. "Considering your interest in yoga, we can designate a specific area in your home for practice. Imagine a corner with soft lighting, comfortable mats, and perhaps some nature-inspired decor to enhance the zen atmosphere. What do you think about incorporating elements like these into your space?"