FORTY

"Come over," Jack's voice crackled with excitement through the phone screen. Those two words were like a spark igniting a fire within me, prompting an immediate flurry of activity as I scramble to get ready. How was it that just the prospect of seeing the boys had me so pumped up?

Despite my initial connection to my brother's team, I couldn't deny the irresistible allure of their company. The boys had a knack for turning even the most mundane moments into unforgettable adventures. Ever since Luke and I caught a game on TV together, they'd been keeping in touch.

As I swing open the car door and parked in my usual spot, I practically bolt to their apartment building. Thanks to Luke sharing the entry code, getting inside was a breeze. No more messing around with the intercom or waiting—I could just waltz right in.

Even though I had the code, I still knock on their door out of habit. It feel kinda funny, but it was a little nod to our old routines.

When Mercer swings the door open with his trademark grin, it was like getting hit with a blast of sunshine. He wastes no time in pulling me inside, his excitement contagious as he yells, "Look who's here!" before giving me a big, warm hug.

Giggling at Mercer's playful behaviour, I follow him into the heart of the gathering, where the rest of the crew awaits. Each one welcomes me with genuine warmth, their friendly hugs showing how happy they are to see me. Though not everyone is here, the sight of familiar faces like Nico, Marino, Nemec, Holtz, Timo Meier, Luke, and, of course, PB&J, fills me with excitement.

Amidst the group's laughter and chatter, Jack greets me with a hug that borders on too intimate, touching almost my ass. 

The scent of alcohol hangs around him, and I can't help but feel a bit embarrassed by his boldness in front of everyone.

With a subtle nudge, I silently encourage Jack to tone it down, hoping to ease the awkwardness without making a scene. He quickly catches on, flashing a sheepish grin as he realizes he's gone a tad overboard.

"Oops, my bad," he mutters, sounding genuinely apologetic. "Got a bit carried away there."

I give him an understanding smile, knowing his heart is in the right place, even if he stumbles a bit in his approach. After all, we're all here to unwind and enjoy ourselves—it's just about finding that sweet spot.

Luke offers me a drink, which I graciously accept, knowing I might be crashing here for the night. Not finding a spot next to Jack, I plop down between Nico and Mercer, feeling right at home with these guys.

Meanwhile, Jack's deep in conversation with Holtz, Nemec, Marino, and Luke on the other side of the table, seemingly oblivious to the lack of space next to him. His focus firmly fixed on his friends, Jack makes no effort to accommodate me, clearly signaling his preference not to sit next to me.

Is he ignoring me or is he serious? Either way, it's bad. 

Nico, Bratt, and Timo are going at it over some card game rules from a recent flight. Mercer tries to jump in, leaning over and whispering in my ear with a chuckle, "Neither of them are right."

Before I can even respond, Nico jokingly smacks Mercer on the head with his cards, like he's doling out some parental discipline. Mercer dramatically clutches his head in fake pain, while Timo and Bratt crack up. In the midst of all the laughter, Nico dramatically declares, "This is a serious argument, guys."

"I swear, it's against the rules to play that card out of turn!" Bratt's frustration was palpable, his eyes ablaze with determination.

Timo slammed his hand on the table, his face flushing with anger. "You're always so hung up on the rules, Bratt! Can't you just chill out and have some fun for once?"