FORTY TWO

MORGAN'S POV

Now it's about me and Braden. Just us. It's crazy how things finally click when you strip away all the noise and distractions. Should've been like this from the get-go, but hey, better late than never, right?

I sit there, in this bustling skate shop, brand new pair of figure skates on my feet, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves. "He said not to move my feet for at least 10 minutes," I quip, trying my best to follow the instructions while Braden's off on his own little adventure.

Braden's scanning the shelves like a kid in a candy store, eyes lighting up at every glimmer of sparkle. "Look at these, they've got some serious bling," he exclaims, before reality slaps him in the face with that price tag. "A thousand bucks?!" His reaction is priceless as he hastily returns them to their spot on the rack.

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Yeah, figure skating's not exactly a cheap hobby. And those? Definitely not beginner-friendly."

But figure skating... it's been my passion since forever. Took lessons until I hit twelve, not aiming for the Olympics, just reveling in the elegance and challenge of the sport. I was alright, you know? Good enough to hold my own, but never destined for stardom. Just a regular on the ice, making memories one twirl at a time.

And tonight, well, tonight's the big show. Skating at Madison Square Garden for the season finale. Playoffs may be looming, but whether the Rangers make it or not, this is our moment. Just me and Braden, gliding under those bright lights, leaving everything else behind. It's gonna be one hell of a ride, and I wouldn't want anyone else by my side.

As Braden returns the pricey skates to the shelf, I can't help but tease him a little more. "You sure you don't want to be the next ice princess, Braden?"

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Nah, I'll leave that to you, Morgan. You were always the graceful one."

I give him a playful shove. "Oh, so now you're saying I'm a princess?"

Braden wraps an arm around me, pulling me close. "You're my princess, that's for sure."

As Braden's hand reaches out to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear, a flutter of anticipation dances in my chest. "I'm excited for tonight," he murmurs, his voice soft and warm, "It's going to be fun. Plus, I won't be alone."

His hand gestures in a mock plea, and I can't help but laugh at his dramatics. "No worries, I'll be right there beside you, your girlfriend," I reply, feeling a rush of boldness surge through me. Did I just say that? The words hang in the air, both terrifying and exhilarating.

Braden's expression shifts, his eyebrows furrowing slightly before a soft smile curves his lips. "Your girlfriend?" he echoes, the words carrying a weight I hadn't anticipated.

I shrug, my gaze dropping to my new skates, suddenly feeling the weight of the moment. "I mean, we've been practically inseparable lately, haven't we? It just feels... right."

There's a moment of silence as Braden processes my words, and I hold my breath, waiting for his response. Finally, he speaks, his voice filled with a mix of surprise and tenderness. "Yeah, it does, doesn't it?" He reaches for my hand, intertwining our fingers as a warmth spreads between us, melting away any lingering doubts. "I guess I've been hoping you'd say that for a while now."

I wince as the worker's voice interrupts our moment, pulling me back to reality. "It's been fifteen minutes, my dear," she says with a hint of amusement in her tone.