Chapter 17 : Temporary Hokage

"Shikaku?"

Sarutobi Hiruzen looked up at Nara Shikaku upon hearing the announcement on the Golden List. He had been caught off guard by Senju Hashirama's words while still basking in his flawless performance. His mind buzzed momentarily.

Being the longest-serving Hokage, the first to step down from power, the first to adopt a "listening to politics" stance, and the first to become the Hokage twice, he had accumulated a fair share of dark pasts.

He certainly didn't want to face the bad reputation after his dismissal from the position of Hokage because of the First Hokage.

His thoughts raced, considering how to counter Senju Hashirama's proposal. If it wasn't for the live broadcast, he would have immediately convened with Uchiha Ran and Nara Shikaku to strategize.

However, Nara Shikaku had surprised him by suggesting a temporary replacement.

Why?

Sarutobi Hiruzen was momentarily baffled.

Unbeknownst to him, Nara Shikaku's move was just the beginning.

[ Senju Hashirama: Nara? The family known for its wisdom during the Warring State Period, I recall your suggestions often carry weight. Do others agree or disagree? ]

At that moment, Senju Hashirama radiated the aura of a legendary ninja, even Senju Tobirama refrained from speaking up.

"Hashirama remains dependable in critical times."

"Let that old monkey continue and Konoha's reputation will definitely suffer."

In the Land of Fire, Uchiha Madara's eyes gleamed with admiration.

Upon hearing this, Uchiha Izuna said with a tinge of jealousy, "Elder brother, it seems like you care about Konoha. Is it because of Hashirama?"

"Absolutely not!"

Uchiha Madara played the old tsundere, swiftly denying it.

"Izuna, you don't understand. Hashirama and I founded Konoha to end the era of wars. I named it Konoha, representing the Senju, while the Hokage title symbolizes Uchiha's Fire Style."

"That's the story, elder brother!" Izuna nodded, not entirely convinced.

Uchiha Madara turned away with a huff.

"Hmph, that meddling monkey!"

"No, the world is dirty, but that won't matter once Project Infite Tsukuyomi succeeds."

"Hashirama, your mistakes will be rectified!"

[Akamichi Chōza : If Ran-kun is in favor, the Akamichi clan agrees.]

[Yamanaka Inoichi : If Ran-kun agrees, the Yamanaka clan stands by it.]

Ino-Shika-Chō, who always sticks together, follows Nara's lead. Their support for this decision isn't surprising.

[Senju Tsunade: I believe I also have a say. I stand by my junior brother's side.]

[Jiraiya: In that case, count me in as well.]

Tsunade's disdain for Sarutobi Hiruzen had been long standing. Had Konoha not been Senju Hashirama and Senju Tobirama's accomplishment, she might have defected sooner, even before Orochimaru did.

Jiraiya, who had observed Sarutobi Hiruzen's actions for so long, saw his guilt towards Namikaze Minato and his sympathy for Naruto. This led him to firmly stand with the cause.

[Yamato: I agree.]

[Hatake Kakashi: I support this on behalf of the Hatake family.]

[Might Guy: Kakashi, my closest rival, I'm with you on this.]