You'll Always Be My Big Brother

Here's a Bruce/JD centered fic

For as long as Spruce could remember, John Dory had always been there for him. From his first steps to potty training. Spruce remembered John helping him with everything. He couldn't reach something? John was there with a chair or a stool. John Dory was always there.
JD was always explaining the things he didn't know to him, why the sky was blue, why they had to brush their teeth, and why John was always there for him.
When Clay came along, Spruce was nervous. What if the new baby didn't like him, what if he didn't like them? John Dory was there to calm his nerves, telling Spruce it's ok to be nervous and the new baby would love him one way or another. Spruce was still a little adamant about the new baby but then he was born.
Clay immediately picked Spruce as his favorite person, constantly watching him.
This made Spruce nervous again, because why was Clay always watching him? Spruce talked to John about it, hoping he had some answers or solutions.
John Dory told him that it was just what babies do, that Spruce did it too.
Spruce could see why John liked being a big brother so much, Spruce loved teaching Clay all the things JD had taught him.
Even when Spruce and Clay grew closer than him and John had ever been, John Dory was still there for him.
Then came Floyd, John and Spruce hyping Clay up to be a big brother. Spruce thought maybe Clay was nervous just like he was, so Spruce did what John had done for him. Spruce reassured Clay that the baby would love him just like they did.
Spruce watched as John Dory talked to Clay about the new baby, remembering that John was there for the both of them, soon to be the three of them.
Floyd was born and it was quite the experience for Spruce. All Floyd did was cry, it was frustrating for Spruce and Clay but not John.
John Dory would gently pick up Floyd, slowly rocking and bouncing him, calming the baby in an instant.
Spruce remembered how gentle John was with each of them when they were hurt, patching them up and giving the injury a kiss to make it feel better.
Spruce laughed when John Dory still tried to pick any of them up, especially when they got too big for him.
Spruce loved dancing and singing with his brothers, he was always able to follow John Dory's lead fluidly.
Then came the band days, it was so much fun getting to perform with his brothers. Spruce loved the lights and screaming fans.
After a particularly rough performance, John was always there to make sure they ate, showered and were comfortable before having all of them go to bed.
When puberty hit, John Dory distanced himself. Spruce was confused, did his big brother not want to hang around them? Spruce confronted John Dory, feeling hurt.
John chuckled, explaining how his body was changing, telling Spruce that he'd know soon enough.
And Spruce did, JD was right. The voice cracks, acne, body hair, and change in odor. John was there to guide him through the obstacles of puberty.
It was around that time that Branch came to be. Spruce hyped Floyd up for being a big brother, not that he needed help.
John Dory seemed angry about the situation, Spruce was confused, John loved being a big brother. Why was he mad about this?
When Floyd started to worry if the new baby would like him, Spruce watched as John Dory did what he did for all of them. John comforted Floyd, reassuring him that no matter what, the baby would love him like John did, like Spruce did, like Clay did. Because that's what brothers are for.
Branch was born and John was right, Branch Loved Floyd.
Then tensions got high, Clay and JD often getting into it. Full on screaming matches between them, with Spruce always in the middle.
Performing was starting to not be fun anymore, it became a chore.
Spruce started to hate listening to his brother, John Dory always correcting them and telling them it needed to be perfect.
After their worst performance, Spruce had enough. He ripped off his vest and walked off, hoping to blow off some steam. And like dominoes, the rest of them followed.
Spruce stomped off, away from the pod, away from his brothers, angry at his older brother mostly.
The first night away was the hardest, it stormed all night.
Spruce found shelter under a mushroom, using several leaves as bedding and blankets.
He didn't sleep well, the claps of thunder keeping him up. He wished John was there to comfort him, to sing to drown out the noise of the thunder or at least to just be there to talk to.
Spruce almost went back, wanting to go back and see his family waiting for him.
But no, he had done this to himself and he needed to do this on his own. He couldn't rely on his big brother to always be there for him.
Spruce escaped the tree and went far away, hoping his family was safe.
Spruce had found an island and started to make a life for himself, changing his name to Bruce wanting to put the boy band behind him, but was still hoping he'd see his brothers one day.
He had fallen in love, Brandy had won him over with her food first, then her personality and good looks. Bruce had never met someone as beautiful as her and tried to use his old charm on her.
Turns out he can dish it out but can't take it, Brandy throwing pick up lines back at him.
Soon they were married, eloping because both of them said they didn't want a wedding for one reason or another. Bruce wanted a wedding but he wanted his brothers there but was scared to face them, especially John.
Bruce caved after being married for a week, sending out a postcard to John Dory, unable to bring himself to sign it or even write anything on. Spruce hoped it would reach John and he knew it was from him, hoping it convaded everything he didn't know how to say.
When their first son was born, Bruce wished he could share this moment with his brothers, especially JD.
John Dory was great with babies, they could have used his help with their first son.After the first one, the rest were easy.
When Bruce's daughter was born, he could almost hear John talking about when they were kids wanting a sister. Kissing his daughter goodnight, chuckling to himself about his brother.
Bruce was often too busy to wonder what his brothers were doing between running and building a restaurant and raising his children, his brothers faded to the back of his mind.
Hearing his old name, Bruce tried to ignore it, thinking they were mistaken. Then he turned around and saw his brothers.
Branch was all grown up. Bruce tossed him in the air, so happy to see the baby of the family.
Seeing John Dory had brought up the resentment he held towards him, still mad after all these years.
Why did his brothers need him now?
Floyd was in trouble and needed them and only them.
Bruce didn't know if he'd still be able to keep up with his brothers, too much good food and lack of exercise.
But his kids didn't think he was in a band, he had to prove it to them.
It felt good to be on stage with John Dory again, dancing and singing to one of their old hits. Then they pulled Branch into the number.
God it felt so good to be dancing and singing with his brothers again, just like old times.
Bruce didn't want to do it but he had to at least ask. Bruce asked Brandy if it would be alright to leave her with the restaurant and kids. She urged him to go, knowing how important his brothers were to him and that they needed him.
They were on the journey to find Clay, using the old funder drawers that Clay had worn for two weeks straight. God did those stink.
They walked into the abandoned golf course, Bruce noticing how John still tried to protect them and how Branch was unknowingly copying JD.
Seeing Clay come out of the shadows had put excitement into him, Bruce and Clay doing their old handshake.
Bruce felt a little bad watching Clay treat John Dory coldly, John clearly just as excited as he was to see Clay.
They explained the situation, Clay agreeing to go.
They made a plan, John taking over.
Viva had tried to keep them there but they needed to save Floyd, Clay opening the gate against her wishes.
Once on the move to Mount Ragous, they practiced for the perfect family harmony. John Dory going back to his old ways of bossing them around.
Clay finally snapped, arguing with John Dory.
Gosh it was like old times, but this time Branch ended the argument, throwing down his drawing.
Bruce watched as John made the motion to go after Branch before stopping himself, a look of sadness in his eyes.
John Dory stomped off to the front seat and began driving, the ride incredibly tense, no one saying a word.
JD parked the bus in a spot reserved for Brozone, Clay argued that it was suspicious that they had a spot for them. Suddenly they were captured and imprisoned in diamond.
The bickering started again, Bruce unable to ignore it and agreeing with Clay.
Branch and Poppy came to save them, freeing John and Bruce first.
They had to work together to save all their brothers, following Branch's lead.
They freed Clay, then finally starting the perfect family harmony. But they were too late, Floyd was gone.
Bruce saw a look of guilt flash across John Dory's face, it was for a second but Bruce knew what he saw.
They all shed tears of joy hearing Floyd's voice, all of the brothers so happy to be back together.
The drive back felt quick, all them excitedly catching Floyd up on what's been going on in their lives.
Bruce smiled fondly as he watched John fret over Floyd, him going into overprotective big brother mode. Bruce was reminded that JD doted and worried about them because he cared. Once back at Vacay Island, Bruce watched as John took an interest in the things Clay liked, reading one of the sad books Clay recommended.
Bruce couldn't be happier, he has a wonderful family, his brothers, and thriving restaurant, what more could a troll want.
As his brothers left to go home, John patted Bruce on the shoulder on his way out. Bruce pulled him into a hug, John Dory reciprocating. They pulled away and as JD walked out the door, he hollered over his shoulder "I'm always here if you need something Brucie, I'm just a postcard away." but John didn't need to say that, Bruce already knew that John Dory would always be there for him, because that's what brothers are for.