I'm Sorry A Jerk

Clay has always had a little bit of a twisted sense of humor.

John Dory knew this, his brother always picking on him and the other brothers playfully. John also knew that he and Clay didn't always see eye to eye, Clay usually being the first one to argue with him about anything.

JD may not be the most empathetic of his brothers or observant but he could tell Clay was still mad at him even after they saved Floyd.

When speaking to John, Clay gave cold, short responses and JD would have to carry the conversation if he wanted it to continue. Clay acted cold and agitated towards John.

When he wasn't being a jerk directly to John Dory, JD was often the butt of Clay's jokes. Clay made jabs at John's expense, any mistake he discovered or flaw he could use against him.

John Dory figured that this was how Clay was going to get all his built up resentment out after all these years, so he endured it, no matter how much it hurt. John could tell Bruce saw the mistreatment and was trying to help but Clay didn't take it, continuing to mock JD.

The straw that broke the camel's back was Clay berating him on his birthday.

John knew that Clay probably didn't know that it was his birthday but it didn't make it hurt less, it actually made it hurt more.

John Dory woke up, actually excited for his birthday for once.

John knew he wouldn't get a traditional birthday with gifts and cake but he didn't mind, he was just glad to have his brothers back in his life. I mean they had missed twenty birthdays already for each other, they would surely make those up at a later date.

The day was already off to a great start, he had a hot shower, could smell breakfast and coffee, and hear his brothers laughing and talking.

JD smiled fondly as he walked downstairs to the kitchen.

"Oh look who's finally awake. Have trouble getting out of bed, old man?" Clay said, using his current favorite jab at John by calling him an old man, knowing he hated that.

"Nah, Just took my time. Why rush on this beautiful day?" John Dory replied, ignoring the obvious jab at him.

Clay seemed a little mad about John's lack of reaction.

"Well, I hate to break it to you JD but it's pretty miserable outside. It's pouring." Bruce chuckled, serving up some pancakes.

"That's the great thing about beauty lil bro, anything can be beautiful, even a dark stormy day." John said chipperly.

"Alright, who are you and what have you done with our annoying older brother?" Clay said snidely, pointing a fork at John Dory.

"Can't I just be in a good mood?" JD said, smiling before thanking Bruce for breakfast.

"Only time you're in a good mood is when you're being bossy and annoying." Clay mumbled under his breath. John tried not to let that one hurt him but it stung a little.

"Clay." Bruce said, almost in a parental tone.

Clay rolled his eyes before digging into his breakfast.

"I agree with you John. Anything can be beautiful, even the dark and macabre." Floyd said, smiling softly at JD.

"Remind me of what macabre means again." John chuckled, a little embarrassed that he forgot what the word meant.

"It means disturbing, idiot." Clay said bluntly. Again that stung but John Dory didn't want to fight with Clay, especially on his birthday.

"Thanks Clay for the reminder." JD said, keeping his voice even.