Part 2:

As the dinner continues, my attention is drawn to the other people in the room. The conversation shifts away from Paul-Atreides and on to the officials as they engage in small-talk. I listen politely and nod along to the conversations while my mind continues to drift to the Duke's son. My mind plays back the brief interaction i had with him.

I tried to pull myself back into reality and tried to forget what had happened with Paul when Paul suddenly got up fast and left the room. I was confused about what had happened, but what I could believe happened was someone said something Paul didn't like, but since I wasn't paying attention I didn't know what it was.

There was a moment of silence after Paul left as no one talked, then conversations started again and they continue to talk. Though I was still wondering why Paul Atrides left so abruptly, trying to find an explanation.

After dinner, everyone begins to leave for their rooms for the remaining night that were arranged for guest. I decide to stay out in the common areas a bit longer than usual, looking for a distraction from the thoughts running through my mind. I doubted anything real, 'cause I was no one to paul, and had no chance with him. Though I did have to admit to myself he was a bit attractive.

After some time, i begin to walk towards my room, for I knew my mother would start to wonder where I was. As I walked back to my room my mind kept replying the day's events and how they have unfolded so far. The memory is suddenly interrupted when i round a corner and almost bump into a familiar figure.

"oh!" I say aloud as I almost bumped into a person. It takes me a second to look up and realize i was face-to-face with Paul-Atreides. My heart skips a beat when i saw the same eyes that were looking at me in the meeting room a few hours earlier. The sudden interaction made me feel a sudden rush of nerves and butterflies in my stomach.

"forgive me" Paul says out of nowhere taking a step back, though it wasn't really anyone's fault for almost bumping into each other.

"It is quite alright." I say back. The two of us stare at each other for Paul seems a bit more nervous than earlier when he was giving his speech in the meeting room.

"uh... Your speech was really good today..." I say in a nervous tone, trying to break the awkward silence

"Thank you..." The awkwardness between us is tangible as the moments pass in silence. I tried to break the silence by complimenting his speech from earlier and he responds with a simple thank you.

"you're welcome" I say

"Um, I'm Ruth Desmond, by the way. And you are?"

I asked for his name but I was just playing dumb because I already knew his name but just wanted to start small talk. Though the thought of the stupid question hit me when I realized why would I be here and not know. Paul Atreides.

"Paul Atreides," he responds after a second's pause.

"You're here for the meetings I assume" Paul asks

"Yeah, I'm here for the meetings I guess- well, no, my mother is here for the meetings, I just was dragged along" I say with a small laugh knowing fully well I wanted to come along to the meeting with mother.

My response draws out a quick chuckle from Paul Atrides. I find myself smiling at the humor in his reaction, my heart beginning to beat a little faster.

"uh...- you left so soon at dinner. Are you- alright?" I ask, but not wanting to push any personal questions on him

Paul looks away for a few seconds and a light blush sweeps across his cheeks. The question has clearly struck a chord with him, causing him to pause and reflect. He seems to have a moment of uncertainty as to how to respond. I was not sure if the question crossed a line with him, but I was just hoping he can open up to me and speak candidly.