13. "just kiss me."

Jaehyun was frowning as he closed the door to his home, taking his shoes off and walking to the kitchen where his mother stood. "What's going on next door?"

"Oh, Jaehyunnie, my dear - you've finally arrived," his mother smiled, ruffling Jaehyun's head as her son gently kissed her cheek. "I'm aware you and Sanghyeok stopped talking, but I overheard a conversation while sitting on the patio today. Our neighbours are moving out tomorrow!"

Jaehyun paused, his expression falling flat, but his heart did something he had never felt before. It felt as if he could no longer feel his heart, every emotion in his body sinking low. It was as if he was being buried, and the final nail was hammered into his coffin. It was a horrible, desolate feeling, and he absolutely hated it. "He's leaving...?"

"Shocking, I know," Mrs Myung hummed. "They've lived here for years! Fifteen, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder why they're moving. I told Sanghyeok that he could stay here if things got tough, but... I suppose we have to move on with life. He broke up with my sweet little Jaehyun, of course."

Jaehyun glanced up at the clock above the wall to his right - nearly 8pm. He took his backpack off and threw it to the couch, hurriedly putting his shoes on before picking up his skateboard. "I'll be right back."

"Jaehyun?! Where are you going?"

"Mom, I still love Sanghyeok," Jaehyun began as he stood up. "I'm gonna tell him one last time."

Jaehyun hurriedly left the house, making sure to close the door behind him and running out the front yard. Sanghyeok's room light was on. He reached into his pocket, taking his phone out and unlocking it. Two missed calls from Sanghyeok greeted his eyes, causing him to frown deeply. He placed his phone to his ear as he waited for the other to answer.

"... J-Jaehyun."

"Sanghyeok, I don't know why you broke up with me, or what caused it, or who you replaced me with," Jaehyun spoke quickly, locking his eyes on Sanghyeok's bedroom window, "but for the longest time, you and I were best friends. Decorating skateboards for the other kids at the park until we made one together. It was fun, wasn't it? To make a new friend?"

"... it was fun."

"I'm sorry I fell in love with you, Sanghyeok." Tears welled up in his eyes, but Jaehyun couldn't help but smile. "I'm sorry for ruining our friendship by yelling out my feelings for you on the rooftop. I'm sorry for... thinking that I could ever have a chance with you. I... I still love you, Sanghyeok. I love you so damn much, but... I'll let you go. I need to mature somehow or another."

"Jaehyun, stop this."

"No, I need to get this off my chest, Sanghyeok. If I don't do this, I'll still hold onto a love that never worked out," Jaehyun chuckled, sniffling as he wiped his tears. "Sanghyeok-ah, you need to have this skateboard. If I keep it, I'm going to cry every time I look at it. It's gonna resurface really painful memories every time, and I'm never going to find another love again."

"Jaehyun, stop being silly."

"Sanghyeok, it's your board. I can't keep this."

"You giant idiot - stay right where you are. I know where you are."

Sanghyeok suddenly hung up, causing Jaehyun to frown at his phone. No more than a few seconds passed before Sanghyeok's front door opened, causing Jaehyun to hold his breath. Sanghyeok rushed out, hair bouncing in the wind as he put his hands to Jaehyun's cheeks.

"Wh-?!"

"Just shut up and kiss me."

Sanghyeok pressed their lips together- it felt as if time stopped. Rather than desperation, what the two felt was relief. There was still love. There was still a feeling. Jaehyun felt his heart clench as tears formed in his eyes. Sanghyeok pulled from the kiss, meeting Jaehyun's teary eyes with his own. Jaehyun looked down as he softly cried, earning a small laugh from Sanghyeok.

"Jaehyun, I'm so sorry for hurting you in such a selfish manner," Sanghyeok murmured, wiping Jaehyun's cheeks with his thumbs. "I never wanted to break up with you. All I wanted was to protect you - so that my father would finally leave you alone. I realise that I can never leave you because I'm just... in love with you. My heart needs you."

"M-my heart needs you t-too..."

"You crybaby," Sanghyeok laughed, resting his head against Jaehyun's shoulder. "I already spoke with my mom and your mom - I'm moving in with you."

"You are?!" Jaehyun suddenly pulled away, a bright smile on his lips as Sanghyeok nodded. The two shared a tight, warm hug, nearly falling to the ground because of Jaehyun's excitement. Sanghyeok laughed brightly as well, but he still felt tears in his eyes. "I'm so glad we get to stay with one another."

Sanghyeok nodded in agreement. "Me too."

The two stared into one another's eyes, exchanging that loving look that they missed so dearly. Jaehyun suddenly pulled from the hug, raising a hand to rest it against the back of Sanghyeok's neck. "Well, only one question remains - since we technically broke up with one another. Sanghyeok, will you... will you be my boyfriend again?"

"Of course, silly."

Mrs Myung sighed softly to herself as she closed the kitchen curtain, smiling in satisfaction as she walked over to the living room. "Oh, our Jaehyunnie looks very happy, dear. Thank you for agreeing."

"Sanghyeok means no harm," Mr Myung hummed, paging through the newspaper in his hands. "Besides, Jaehyun would be moaning and griping for years to come if they didn't make up. I'm sure they'll be fine now."

Mrs Myung smiled as she rested her head to his shoulder. "What caused you to become so empathetic?"

"I was reminded of our younger years and the way you cried when your father banned us from meeting one another. You cried for days on end until he let us meet one another."

"Wh-?! Stop lying!"

"Mhm. Why do you think Jaehyun is such a crybaby."

"Hmph. He's your son, too. It's why he loves so thoughtlessly."

Mr Myung smiled. "Perhaps."