Ꮍ1 (7) - Midnight

It was past bedtime and I was sitting on one of the couches, woken by not a nightmare, but worry for Harry.

I sighed, knowing that even if I could rest my eyes, knowing Harry was bound to get in trouble by Mr. Filch or his cat, I would be woken by nightmares either way.

"What are you doing up, Woodruff?" Malfoy asked with a slightly sleepy voice, his hair messier than normally in the morning.

I frowned at him but made space on the small couch for him. "Nothing. Just... nightmares." Shrugging with a sigh and frowning even harder.

"Hey." I began, attempting something that bugged me the whole time after dinner.

"Hey?" He asked awkwardly, confused at my sudden break at the silence.

"Even if you weren't going to trick Harry about the duel, why did you pick me as your second. Instead of Crabbe or Goyle?" I mutter, avoiding his hard stare of confusion.

"Since when were you on first-name basis with Potter?" Malfoy completely ignored my question to him and seemed even a little irked at me.

"Since like a few weeks ago maybe? Why does it matter?" Baffled by his out-of-nowhere question, I turn to face him, leaving less space on the couch for us.

"But you call me Malfoy." He stated as if I knew exactly what was on his mind.

"And you call me Woodruff. What's the big deal?" 

"You're on first-name basis with Potter before me." 

"Okay?... But what does that mean?"

He grew quiet and frowned, deep in thought probably, by the way he seemed to zone out.

It took me a moment, but I connected the pieces to his puzzle and gave a small 'oh'. Malfoy was obviously at Harry's throat every second he can. He sees everything as competition and he wants to be the best. So if he saw this as a competition, then he just lost to Harry. And I'm still calling him Malfoy, so it only rubs salt into the wound.

"I can call you Draco if you'll allow me. If you call me by my first name too." I offered, bringing my knees to my chest, feeling a little uncomfortable with the current tension.

But that would mean I consider Malfoy a friend. Do I consider him as my friend? I mean... This entire time it was mainly to keep a good look for my dad. It would be bad if I got my dad into trouble with Lucius by fighting Malfoy.

"Yeah okay. Er... (Y/n)." Draco finally broke the silence and it felt nice to lift the tension.

"Okay, Draco." I sighed and sat down properly again. "But you never answered my question."

"What question?" He seemed in thought once more but he nodded quickly. "It was nothing special. Don't think too much about it Wood- Uh- (Y/n). My father just mentioned once that you're a good dueler."

"I guess so?" I had never properly been in a duel, but Grayson had taught me defensive spells before, and I had done them exactly as he had, jinxes too.

"I thought under-aged wizards can't do magic out of school though?" Draco asks with curiosity, now leaning in closer to hear my mumbling.

"Well, my dad works at the ministry, and it took a lot of paper-work, convincing and debating. But a part of the land in our property is given special permission for Grayson, Cyra and me to use magic. Even if we're under-aged. Of course, either my dad or mom have to be present at the time and even have to sign loads of paperwork of what exact spells we're using and at what time. Because they can't really track the spells used in this certain part of training grounds." I explained as briefly as I could to him, knowing my dad has to do a lot in order to give us this benefit no other magic kid could have.

Silence filled the room again, only this time, it wasn't as awkward as last time. Both of us staring at the fire, the warm orange glow lighting our faces in the dark.

"Why are you always up at this time? Parkinson tells me she finds you down here at night whenever she's awake." 

"Pansy? Did she tell you about Brutus too?" I asked, a hint of worry to my voice. Draco didn't need to know about Brutus. He would probably tease me, or even shoot down his father's words of me being a good dueler. 

"Brutus?- Who else are you on first-name basis?" He seemed annoyed again, not exactly his best mood, but Draco being quiet and kind was odd to me.

"Uhm, Pansy, Harry, Audrey, Zima, and you. I think that's all?" 

He was asking too many questions. I should just answer one more before sending him off.

"Anyways. I uh- don't sleep a lot because of nightmares. 5 years ago I almost drowned. I had a twin sister, I think my dad might've told your father, but she drowned that night. Sometimes I dream that I'm drowning again." I found myself getting drowsy now, without even realizing it, my head was rested on his shoulder and he was tense. Awkward.

"Uh... sorry! You should go to bed now!" I cough and shuffle away from him.

Draco frowns for a third time this night and also backs away, walking up the stairs to the boys dorms. "You can... wake me up if you have more nightmares. I don't care."

And with that, he was gone.

What just happened???

𓆗𓅓͛ ¾ 🃁 𐦍 ⚕️𓆗𓅓͛ ¾ 🃁 𐦍 ⚕️

I had sat down on the couch, dumbfounded of what just happened 30 minutes ago.

Draco and I are now on first name basis. He knows about my nightmares. He offered to help with my nightmares. That thing- with my head. What?!

I shook my head, feeling a sickening feeling in my stomach. Wait!-

Harry!

I rushed out of the common room and into the halls, careful not to run into anyone unwanted. Searching for Harry to make sure he didn't get caught by Mr. Filch or Mrs. Norris.

I turned the corner to see Harry about to enter the portrait hole to Gryffindor common rooms but something told me to not let him.

"Harry!" I whispered loud enough for him to hear me.

He turned to face me and scowled, waiting for the other 3 Gryffindors to go inside before lagging behind to talk.

"Why do you have 3 others with you? Were you trying to kill us or something during this duel?" Jokingly I lightly punched his arm but he was all serious. "Uhm..."

"What are you doing here? Where were you and Malfoy? I bet you tipped off Filch and his dirty cat." He didn't stop to let me talk and I just let him jab at me with his finger.

"Harry, I'm sorry! I promise I can explain everything if you'd let-"

"If you're truly going to explain it then do it next week. I don't want to talk to you right now. At dusk I'll be off to my first quidditch practice. You can talk to me afterwards. I trust you won't be following Malfoy like a lost puppy?" Harry's cold tone made me flinch, especially his comment about me and Draco. But I deserved every word of it. 

"That's fine." I sigh and turn to head back to the direction of the Slytherin dorms. "And I truly am sorry." I mutter, not catching his slight guilty look.