Chapter 3

"Jack, does it hurt?" Luke asked the boy laying in the hospital bed who was sporting a beanie, covering his bald head.

"Well Luke, it doesn't feel good." He responded making the sixteen year old pout.

This is how things have been for the past two years since Jack had developed pancreatic cancer. Jack being quite sarcastic and Luke being curious and confused.  Luke was only fourteen when it started, and to say he was shocked was an understatement. His entire family basically fell apart- both financially and emotionally.

Luke's dad started to stay out, claiming that he was working extra shifts, but Luke knew what that meant, and extra shifts didn't explain how he was always hungover when he returned home the next morning.  Luke didn't understand why his father did the things that he did, and he found himself thinking about it more than often. At night, he finds himself imagining what he would do if any of his kids got diagnosed in the future when he has them. If that ever happened, Luke knew he would not distant himself, and he would most certainly stay close because he knows how it is to feel abandoned.

Even Luke's mom, who was always so sincere and genuine, had stopped caring. Luke would make the smallest mistake and he would get screamed at. It had to of been at least 10 months since he's heard the simple words "I love you Luke." It was obvious that she did love Luke, she just never said it anymore. Luke didn't want to blame Jack for this, because it wasn't his fault he had cancer, even though the older boy often did blame himself. Luke just wished he could have his old mother back, the one that was always there for him no matter what happened, but he knew that he would most likely never have her back, because you can't get the past back. You can only wish you could.

Liz used to always be there for Luke, for everything. When Luke's father called him a freak she would always stick up for her son. When Luke didn't understand something that he most likely should have, Liz was always gentle with the boy and helped him out, unlike the others who just laughed at him, or yelled. Liz understood Luke, and he wished she still did, because now when he's feeling alone and small, he doesn't have his mother to comfort him, all he has is his stuffed animal, and that gets old after awhile.

No one knew about Luke's at home life, because well, he didn't want people to know. The second you have an illness or someone in your family has an illness it's like everyone suddenly is your best friend and loves you, which Luke didn't want. He hated the idea of people talking to him only because his brother had cancer, so he just stayed silent. Sometimes Calum wondered why Luke was never home, or why the boy was always tired, but he had no idea what was going on in the blondes life. And because Luke is so quiet and to himself, he probably never would know.

Of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't like attention, the boy craved it. And as selfish as it was, even when his mother was hugging Jack and bawling, Luke wished it were him, because a simple hug would mean the world. Not even Ben, Luke's other brother, bothered to comfort Luke. Luke liked attention because it made him feel relieved, but unfortunately, he hasn't had that relieve in a long time.

"Just fucking tell me the truth already!" Luke heard a voice come from the hallway, he shook slightly as he recognized it as his mother's.

The doors which were once closed, flew open as Liz stormed in, a very frail and seemingly scared nurse followed behind her. This was something Luke was used to- he didn't like it- but he was used to it. Luke's mother definitely didn't care about hurting anyone's feelings anymore, that sense of guilt had left the woman years ago.

"Mrs. Hemmings, I cannot do anything, he doesn't want to do that." The nurse said in a small voice.

"You know how long he has-"