Chapter 10

"He thinks he's five, what the hell did you expect me to do?" The man yelled viciously.

"I think you've gave him enough insecurities to live with these past few years," Liz shouted back with a scowl on her face, "If you ever hit him again I wont even hesitate to call the police on your ass."

"Maybe next time I'll hit you instead," He spoke, his tall figure cowering over his wife. Liz cringed as his breath hit her nose, he reeked of cigarettes and vodka.

He also smelled like hours of working over time and late night gas station runs. He was definitely not someone that you would want to be around longer than you had to. Liz found herself backing away from the man; not only because he had a foul odor, but also because she was terrified of what he might do to her.

Luke sat on the floor of his bedroom, his back pushing up against his door, as well as his ear, trying to hear the conversation between his parents in the room over. There were tear tracks on his cheeks, he hated it when his parents fought, especially when it was about him. The boy often found himself wondering what would happen if his parents did get divorced. A part of Luke wished they would get divorced sometimes, it would  most likely stop a large percentage of the complications in his life.

The other part of him was certain it would just create more conflict, and he wasn't ready to come to full a understanding that his parents did not love each other anymore. If they separate, Luke was certain he would go with his mother, wherever she would go, and he would never see his father again, which might not be so bad. Honestly, Luke didn't want to be with either of them.

Luke found himself worrying about his future, he was scared that the person he fell in love with would eventually stop loving him back. For example, when Luke loves something simple, like a food, he will eat that consistently, and eventually, he will grow tired of it. It terrified Luke that something you once loved could soon be your least favorite thing.

-

It was late at night, and Luke's parents most definitely thought their son was sleeping. His room was almost completely dark, except for the small night light that had Disney princesses on it, which Luke absolutely loved. The blond carefully slipped out of his room, holding as his breath until he heard a snore come from his parents room, first his mother's, then his father's.

When Luke was tired he often didn't think about his actions, his mother had even tried to get him meds for these compulsive thoughts, but the doctor just laughed and said that's how everyone is. Luke didn't quite understated that, if it was such a normal thing then why did everyone always get so angry at him for the actions he does in times like this?

If he were thinking straight, this entire idea would have seemed like the stupidest thing ever, but that is the thing, Luke wasn't thinking straight. The boy slowly opened up the cabinet, he can vividly remember his mother always tell him that cabinet wasn't for little boys, somehow those thoughts slipped away as he finger danced over the surface of the bottle of whiskey.

Luke has never had a way to deal with his problems, nothing out of the normal, what he did wasn't dealing with them, it was the problem. While people turned to coping mechanisms like drugs and harming themselves, Luke usually just slept his problems away. Now, Luke was curious about all of this. Did any of it actually help?

Opening the cap and tilting his head back, Luke downed the liquid. It burned going down, and he almost thought it wouldn't even stay down. Surprisingly, it did.

-------

"Hello?" Ashton said groggily into the phone. He had been sound asleep when he got the call, and he hadn't even looked to see who was calling.