Chapter 4

*Luke's P.O.V.*

Disney movies were so much more than amazing. They had the ability wrap themselves around me, singing their beautiful tunes into my ear, hugging me like I had longed for my entire life. When I feel as though I can never be worthy enough to have my own prince, even though it is extremely cliche, these movies make me feel like there will be someone out there for me. Although I love Disney movies, I keep having the recurring nightmare, the one about Ursula from The Little mermaid. Or the one where my mother finally calls it quits with my father, either way, I wake up feeling empty and scared.

My father loves to make me feel bad about myself, he acts as if it is his main goal in life. Like he woke up and the first thing like approaches his mind is "Lets make Luke feel even worse today". He pours his beverages down his throat in attempt to make everything look better in his eyes, but in mine, they aren't. He doesn't love me and he didn't even try to hide that. I don't think my mother loved me either but at least she had small gestures that made me feel like there was some love, my father didn't even bother anymore.

I was sick of being at the hospital, it scared me because everyone in the same building was either dying, or crying, maybe both. And not to mention, the place is most definitely haunted, I mean think of everyone who has died in the building. Walking through the halls was terrifying, I could almost hear the whispers of people screaming help into my ears. Ever corner I turn is like a horror movie as I await for something bad to happen, although nothing ever does happen, just me being paranoid.

"Luke, go down the street and buy yourself something, just get out of here for now," My mother told me, making my eyes widen to the size of quarters as she handed me eight dollars, all in ones.

"Mom I-"

I try to protest, even if it only was eight dollars, every bit counts. And we definitely could not afford anything, not with Jacks medical bills. Or with my therapy bills, hell, we could barely afford to eat some days.

"Luke, don't argue, buy whatever the hell you want, just go," She spits, I could tell she was in a bad mood, I don't blame her, I would be to if I were her. I open my mouth to speak, but she beats me to it, "Now." She chimes sharply, making me quickly detour out of the room.

I knew how to get to the store, seeing that it was only just down the street, and I've been there multiple times when my mom sends me to get her "lady things", apparently, things are limited at the hospital, or at least that's what she told me. I don't see why they wouldn't have those things at a hospital, I mean, aren't they important? Maybe she was just trying to help me improve on my social skills, if she even cared enough to do so.

I definitely have improved over the years, I am far more advanced at being independent, I think Jack being in the hospital and my parents constant arguing plays a big toll in that one. And when I do act younger, it isn't like it used to be, I can be alone and do it, before I used to have my mother by my side at all times. My thirteen year old self would probably run away from my current self, not that I am scary or anything, but three years ago my own shadow scared me.

As I walk into the shop, the door chimes, making a few workers turn their heads in my direction. I smile, because my mother always told me to do so when walking into stores, she said something about how it will make a good impression. And also, I don't want them to think I am stealing anything. That is usually what people think when a kid walks into a store. I don't have the bravery to even attempt to steal, and if I did succeed, I would probably feel guilty afterwards and end up going back to the shop to return whatever it was that I had taken.

I walk down the aisles, scanning my eyes everywhere for what I want. I knew exactly what it was that I wanted, but I didn't know where it was. I hate asking for help at stores, it makes me feel like I am a huge bother. I am certain these workers have better things to do than help a sixteen year old find something to buy for eight dollars. A sigh escapes my lips, this was going to be hell.