Chapter 6: Shocking Revelations

Cherri would take a deep breath, holding the Pokéball to his lips for a moment as if he was whispering something into it. He would then throw it out his first Pokémon, his Gastly Bolt. Omi responded in kind by sending out his first Pokémon, Horna, the Brutal Blow Pokémon. Cherri had the benefit of being able to attack first, not wanting to squander this prime opportunity.

"Bolt! Try your best and use Lick!"

When talking directly to his Pokémon Cherri's nervousness seemed replaced with a momentary determination and trust in his friend, calling upon him to cast the first attack which it obliged, rushing at the Horna with a lick. In contrast Omi's body language didn't give anything that could be perceived as intimidation, always trying to maintain a cool and calm demeanour to help deal with the nerves of new budding trainers. The battle had begun and Bolt had gone for a lick, using its comically large tongue to strike Horna. It slathered Horna with its attack which caused the small narwhal-like Pokémon to tumble over.

"Alright then my Horna, show us your namesake!"

That being said, though Omi was one to not push new trainers too hard he wasn't going to sit there and just hand a free win over to Cherri. He didn't even need to make a direct command as the Horna span its body as it propelled itself towards the ghost, using Horn Attack at its ghoulish body. Cherri watched as Gastly took the horn attack like a champ, smiling as he felt anything but doubt in his friend. Without needing the boy's instruction Gastly let out a playful bark before seemingly getting distracted...? This gave Omi a chance to send Horna out for an attack first, but Cherri's confidence in his friend didn't waver. This certainly caught Omi's attention as he raised an eyebrow. Oh? His Pokémon seemed to be struggling with focus. Surely it isn't that disobedient already? Well, it isn't impossible. Better learn early one would suppose.

"Struggles with focus, perhaps? But I won't insult you by throwing a turn, Horna! Keep the pressure on!"

Horna went forth with another Horn Attack, utilising the spin once again to charge against this unfocused Gastly. Bolt was smacked by the Horn Attack, getting knocked back a little bit. However the pain of the hit soon turned to a playful grin as it used Payback, sending back a hit against the enemy Pokémon with double its normal strength.

"(So that was his plan? It isn't very effective but it will do double damage...interesting.)"

Horna was in fact given its due payback, getting slammed by the Dark-Type move with furious might. It ricocheted into the Gym's wall before landing upon its front. It began to get up, looking as though it still had some fight left in it, but it eventually succumbed to its injuries and fainted from the attack.

"Well well! You're smarter than I gave you credit for, consider me pleasantly surprised! But I still have one more Pokémon up my sleeve, go Lil'drilah!"

He returned Horna and sent out his final Pokémon, Lil'drilah, the Spinner Pokémon. Cherri too opted for a change of Pokémon, returning Bolt to his Pokéball as he was going to send out Buns the Bunnelby. Though with some of his nerves he ended up dropping a few things whilst rummaging for the Pokéball in his bag. As his back was turned Omi noticed something, on the back of Cherri's neck, the same thing Jazmine almost caught when dragging him away before. Omi was left completely shocked as a single word escaped his mouth.

"Aqua?"

It basically came out of his mouth on instinct. Though being a Water-Type specialist and all it shouldn't be too surprising at the bare minimum he has a passing knowledge of the significance of that word. It was Team Aqua, Cherri had a tattoo of their symbol messily emblazoned upon the back of his neck. Just as Cherri was getting ready to send Buns out he froze in shock, rubbing the tattoo with his hand, covering it momentarily as he began speaking, his focus broken.