Chapter 10: The Sins of Voracity

Stay calm

Stay calm. You can do this. Just another battle. These were the thoughts ringing through Jazmine's head as the battle had just began. She had a plan in her head for a path to victory, but that was easier when facing lower-stake threats. It was the first time Jazmine felt like she was up against immense odds. Could she do it? Could she win?

"Of course! Joltik, Thunder Wave!"

"Mightyena, Fire Fang!"

The Pokémon of the two trainers rushed at each other, at the behest of their master they wanted to show who was destined to come out the victor. Who would strike first seemed to be anybody's guess, until...

CHOMP

"Joltik!"

The Mightyena struck first, sinking its jaws into the Joltik and completely grabbing it off the ground. Its fangs soon ignited in a blaze of scorching hellfire as the Bug Pokémon was singed and almost taken out in a single blow.

"How's that Ms. Champion? Still think you're a good trainer now?"

Esuri began to mock Jazmine but it was too soon to declare victor. The Joltik may have been hurt but it was not fainted, using some of its remaining energy it surged itself with electricity, shocking the Mightyena into a Paralysis and just manging to pry itself from its jaws. Despite everything it was still standing, just about. Esuri's Pokémon was still unharmed, though now it would prove more difficult to perform another intense attack. Esuri stopped her mockery, seems a plan was being formed.

"Phew...sorry Jolt, just hang in a little longer! Just like we planned!"

Well that was a first, Jazmine began to call her Pokémon by a sort of nickname. Granted it was just a contraction of their proper name but it seems this battle was giving her a little more personal investment in her teams well-being. Cherri was always one to care for his Pokémon, even when they were busy setting him on fire, so she can at least throw her own a bone when fighting so hard. Joltik mustered all of its will and did as Jazmine commanded, going for a String Shot on the Mightyena which was now slowed by its paralysis.

It was doused in sticky web and its mobility was getting inhibited even further. Esuri tried to call for it to attack but what can only be described as a gift from a higher power it was fully paralysed and thus unable to move. She was being given the means to execute her plan unabated, she and her Joltik working in tandem to deal with this insurmountable threat.

"Now, Electro Ball!"

The Joltik drowned itself in sparks and lightning, charging up everything within its small body to unleashed everything it had onto this Mightyena. It jumped into the sky and formed an intense orb of electricity before sending it down upon the Bite Pokémon with speed beyond what it was able to account for. Being slowed so much made it unable to deal with the attack, getting slammed for a massive bout of damage from the small Electric-Type. It seems to have proven to be an effective strategy, though it seems Joltik's time would be coming to an end.