Detective Fam at Work (5)

{Beta read by @OreoOreoCremeeegirl.}

Dick's POV: 

He knew.

That was all that Dick could think about.

How could Nico have known?

Dick had woken up in the hospital, his head pounding and his body aching. After downing several bottles of water to soothe his parched throat, Bruce walked into the room, a kind smile on his face.

"Hey Dick, how are you doing?" Bruce asked, sitting down in a chair next to Dick's hospital bed.

"What happened?" Dick asked once he had set his newly empty water bottle down on his bedside table.

"The Joker and Harley Quin rigged the mall with all sorts of bombs, some of them I've never seen them use before," Bruce said, his smile fading and the volume of his voice dropping. Dick glanced around the room, as far as he could tell, there wasn't anyone, or anything, to listen to them.

"Does Batman know how they managed to get into the mall with dozens of security cameras and guards?" Dick asked, looking around the room one more time just to be sure that a nurse hadn't walked in.

"No. The media says that Batman and his team haven't found a way they could have gotten in. The press has also been asking Commissioner Gordon where Nightwing was during the entire ordeal." Bruce said, leaning back in his chair and crossing his legs like he was in an important business meeting.

"He was probably in Bludhaven taking care of something," Dick said, trying to sound casual. Dick always thought it was silly whenever they had to talk like this like the entire night half of their lives was spent as the very same heroes they were talking about as if they had no connection.

"That's what the press assumed." Bruce agreed. Dick, unable to keep to himself anymore, leaned forward.

"He knew," Dick whispered. Bruce looked confused.

"Who knew what?" He asked, picking up on the urgency in Dick's tone and leaning forward as well.

"Nico. I think he knew that the bombs were going to go off." Dick said, groaning slightly as the scabs that had formed over the burns on his back broke open. Bruce pushed him back onto the bed before responding.

"What do you mean? How do you know he knew?" Bruce asked, Dick could tell he was concerned, even though the impassive mask Bruce constantly wore when he was out in public had settled over his face. A perk Dick had gotten from living with Bruce since he was thirteen.

"Well, I was in the tailor shop with him, you know, doing all the cloth matching, when he suddenly got really tense. And I mean really tense. Then he just grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the shop." Dick said. Bruce's face settled into the expression Dick knew so well, dubbed the 'sleuthy scowl' by Jason.

"Perhaps he saw Mr. Reid sneak out and figured something was going to happen." Bruce mused. Dick furrowed his brow.

"What do mean by 'Mr. Reid sneaking out'?" Dick asked and Bruce sighed.

"Batman reported to the press that Mr. Reid had been in league with the Joker and was the one who helped plant a significant amount of bombs." Bruce finally let on, closing his eyes and Dick was suddenly reminded that Bruce was now in his forties. Dick felt his heart drop into his stomach as he realized the trusty tailor they had been going to for years was actually in cahoots with the man who killed his brother and caused the rest of them so much pain and suffering.

"And this has been confirmed?" Dick asked dejectedly. Bruce nodded.

"Unfortunately, after a little more investigation done by Red Hood-" Bruce began.