The Big Reveal (21)

The moment Nico's eyes fluttered open he was assaulted with stinky hellhound breath and drool.

"Uhg! Girl!" Nico groaned, shoving Mrs. O'Leary's furry face away from him, wiping the drool off of his face, trying not to get it in his mouth.

Mrs. O'Leary sat down, the ground shaking slightly as her enormous rump hit the grass. Her tongue lolled out and ran right along Nico's face and through his hair.

"Mrs. O'Leary!" Nico yelped, rolling away, desperately trying to doge her affectionate licks. "Stop!"

Mrs. O'Leary finally stopped, her mouth open and panting, her tail thudding loudly on the ground.

Nico took a second to look around. Hazel was still lying on the ground, fast asleep. Except her helmet had been removed and was resting a few feet away. A blanket was draped over her shoulders and a soft-looking pillow was resting under her head.

Nico looked down at the ground he had been lying on, his own pillow was covered in hellhound drool and his blanket was a tangled mess.

Nico used Mrs. O'Leary as a prop to stand up and look past her. The blinds on the glass door had been opened but Nico couldn't see anyone inside.

"Hey, Hazel," Nico said, kneeling next to her and shaking her lightly by the shoulder. Hazel sat bolt upright and looked around. Her hair poofed wildly in every direction.

"Where?- Oh, good morning Nico." Hazel yawned, stretching her arms above her, and twisting her torso slightly, her armor clanging. "Note to self: Don't ever sleep in armor again." Hazel groaned loudly.

"Need help getting it off?" Nico asked, laughing as she slumped over and rubbed her eyes.

"Yes please." She grumbled. Nico nodded and started to undo the armor straps of her breastplate.

"Good morning you two." Nico looked over at Bruce, who was opening the sliding glass door, two cups of something hot in his hands.

Nico and Hazel both just stared at him silently. Clearly not knowing whether or not to apologize or just let Bruce lead the conversation.

"Breakfast is ready if you two want it." Bruce continued, seeming unfazed by their silence. He handed Nico and Hazel the cups and inside was fresh hot chocolate.

"Thank you," Nico mumbled, looking away, taking a sip of the hot cocoa and letting the flavor wash over his tongue. Bruce nodded and left, giving Nico a half-stern look.

"He seems... friendly?" Hazel said uncertainly, staring down at her own cup for a few seconds before finally taking a sip.

"He's actually a lot like Chiron. He has just had a rough couple of weeks." Nico sighed. "Do you want me to get you back to New Rome now? Or do you want to hang out for a little while?" Hazel exhaled deeply and looked down at the armor Nico had finished removing.

"I might eat breakfast with you guys before you drop me off. Recharge my battery and all." Hazel finally said, grabbing her armor and stacking it neatly before stuffing it under her arm.

"Alright. I'll introduce my family to my family." Nico said, taking a deep breath and leading Hazel inside.

The Manor was quiet and there was a cleaning crew loitering around the ballroom, or maybe it was a construction crew. To, you know, fix the giant hole now in the ceiling.

"Come, sit Master Nico, and you Miss...?" Alfred said, pulling out a chair for each of them to sit in.

"Uh, it's Hazel, just Hazel please," Hazel mumbled, sitting in the chair awkwardly. "Thank you."