The Trio of Shadows (20)

"How about this?" Nico asked, slipping off Mrs. O'Leary's back and scanning the area on top of the hill they had shadow traveled onto.

"I think this will do," Hazel mumbled, leaping onto the ground, and pulling out her Spatha.

Nico took several steps back and let Hazel do her thing.

She plunged her Spatha into the soil, sinking it all the way up to the hilt, and closed her eyes, keeping her hands clamped tightly on the grip.

Nico could feel the power thrumming through the ground, tugging at his gut as it traveled down and spread out.

"You've gotten stronger Haze," Nico said, shoving down the slight nausea that came with the tugging sensation.

"It seems you have too." She replied, opening her eyes. "Do you think it is related?"

"I'm not sure, it might just be that we are getting older." Nico sighed, watching as Hazel shoved her hands in an outwards motion as if she were pushing her search to the edges of the city.

"Maybe." Hazel sighed, relinquishing her hold on the Spatha, and standing. The sword rose out of the ground with her. "The mist clings to you."

"What do you mean?" Nico asked, not sure if that was a good thing or not.

"It means that you've used it recently. Nico, what is going on?" Hazel asked her concern now back in fill force.

"I'm sorry Hazel. I really am. I should have told you so many things but-" Nico sighed, rubbing his face.

"But what Nico? Is this 'penguin' man so dangerous that you cannot explain what has happened in these last few months?" Hazel asked coldly, her arms crossed tightly across her breast plate.

"I don't know how dangerous the Penguin is," Nico admitted. "But Haze, look at me please."

"You have been keeping secrets again." Hazel sighed, finally turning to look Nico in the eye. "From everyone apparently." Nico winced at that. He had been keeping secrets from everyone. His family, his friends, basically everyone he cared about.

It hurt him a little more than he thought it would when he realized it.

"I swear on the river Styx that I will explain everything to you and the Waynes, and basically everyone when this is all over," Nico said, reaching out to rest his palms on Hazel's shoulders. Nico felt the icy coldness settle in his gut that meant the oath had been bound.

"Oh, Nico." Hazel sighed, pulling him in for another hug.

"I'm fine Hazel," Nico assured her, squeezing her lightly.

"I found your sword, or at least I think I did." Hazel finally said the moment she pulled away. It is on the left side of the city.

"Left? As in west?" Nico asked, turning in said direction.

"Yes, west. I'm sorry." Hazel mumbled, rubbing her eyes. "It's been a long day."

"It's okay. I'll get you back to New Rome before it reaches twelve." Nico smiled, pressing a soft kiss to her forehead.

"But for now," Hazel said, pulling away and turning to Mrs. O'Leary, who was rolling around in the grass. "Come on girl." She said, patting her armored thighs.

Mrs. O'Leary came bounding towards them, her large tongue darting out and running it's rough, wet surface across Nico's face.

Something Nico did not appreciate but Hazel found very funny.

"Good girl." She said, reaching out to scratch behind Mrs. O'Leary's ears. "Can you get us to the furthest bridge on the west side of Gotham? Can you do that girl?" Mrs. O'Leary released a sonic boom bark and her tail started wagging frantically.