Lost In Lack Of Communication

It was another "ordinary" day at the Owl House. Luz laid down on the couch, exhausted. Not from anything she did recently, but from the guilt of summoning a demon to solve her problems. Knowing what she did... who she's hurt... it made her feel... weak. Lesser. Like nothing would save her, like nothing would help her from this eternal low that she's experiencing, like everything she'd ever feel would be pain and suffering and-

"Luz!" Eda shouted, causing Luz to snap out of her spiral of self-hatred. "I'm gonna need you to return these books I checked out from the library."  She summoned a pile of books into Luz's hands.

Luz took a moment to process this. "What? Why?" Luz asked, knowing Eda wasn't typically one to fret about deadlines and the like.

"Cause I need to return them and I don't wanna go out today." Eda shrugged. "Also..." Eda continued, with slight concern etched on her face. "...you haven't been going out as much as you usually do. Which is weird, cause you're usually all about 'adventure' and 'exploration' and junk."

Luz winced slightly at this, before forcing a smile. "I'm fine! I'm just... a bit... loopy, from all that 'Bill' stuff..." She rubbed her shoulder a little.

Luz felt... odd, ever since she made that deal with Bill. Or did her deterioration start at that second deal...? She can't remember. All she remembers is what she feels now. Scared about what she did to Amity, angry at herself for making a deal with a demon, having her heart stop at the sound of King's voice due to it being almost identical to you-know-who... Azura would be disappointed in her. 

When she looks in the mirror, it's like she's looking into an alternate universe. A universe that never had Bill, that never had anything go wrong and kept Luz as her optimistic, go-getting self. She felt broken, but she looked like she always did. She looked... "happy". "Okay". She looked exactly like herself, which was a stark contrast to her inner turmoil. All that she could wonder was, would trying to act like nothing happened be the best course of action, or should she make her outside match her inside? 

She felt cold. Like she was distant to her own body. Not to anyone else, she hoped, but she felt...  alone. Lost. Different.

She snapped back to reality. She was already out the door...? 'Thank goodness for auto-pilot', she mused to herself...

Luz turned around instantaneously. "Uh, bye Eda!" She waved.

"Eh?" Eda looked out the door in surprise. "Oh, uh, later kid! Don't stay out past 8 PM, lest the gargoyles feast on your non-vital organs!"

Luz saluted, making some of the books slide out of her hands. She quickly caught them before they hit the floor, and swiftly made her way to the library.

King looked at Eda, deadpan. "Lest?"

"What? I read a lot of Snakespear in high school, give me a break." Eda rolled her eyes.

As soon as Luz was out of sight, King and Eda collectively sighed and sat on the couch.

"When do you think we should give it to her?" Eda asked, referring to the elixir.

"I don't know... but it should definitely be soon. I'd rather we don't deal with Bill again before giving her the potion." King's eyes shined with anger.

Eda thought about it for a second. "What if that's not how it works? What if we have to give it to her WHILE she's under the effect of one of Bill's evil... things?" 

King shrugged. "Just give her half of it when she comes back, and half of it if any 'Bill' business happens. Slip it in one of her human drinks, or something." 

"Yeah..." Eda put her hand on her chin, both her and King ignoring the moral implications of slipping a 'magic remedy' in someone's drink without consent. "That could work."

"It will work! I swear on my... er... good horn!" King pointed to his horn, the one that wasn't cracked, and Eda nodded.

"Just hope she gets back soon..." Eda sighed.

Eda and King stared at each other for a while longer before looking away and just sitting in silence. 

(Sorry for the short chapter! And for releasing this at the beginning of February instead of in January like I wanted to... yipes. As a certain arrogant skeleton would say; "WHOOPSIE-DOOPSIE!" Don't worry though, the next chapter[s] will be when it gets juicy. Your jaw will... well, it won't drop, it's not gonna floor you or anything, but you'll probably let out a quiet 'hm' of intrigue every now and again. Later! And by later, I mean right now! Because the next chapter should release with this one! Maybe. Probably.)