Taking Friends

"WHAT in Titan's name are you doing?!" Boscha acrimoniously shouted towards Emira, Edric, but mostly towards Luz.

"Boscha?!" Luz took a moment to process Boscha's unexpected (well, unexpected to Luz, at least) arrival. "Boscha...? Why are you here? At night??"

Boscha rolled her eyes and pointed to a somewhat unnerved Amity.

Luz's eyes widened slightly, and she started stammering. "I-I-I- Amity! I didn't- I wasn't planning to-"

Emira cut Luz off and put her hands on her cheeks, in a less-than-respectable fashion. "What's wrong, Mittens? There isn't something you have to hide from your dear old family, do you?" Edric held up the now disattached cover of Amity's diary to add fuel to the fire.

Amity was about to very loudly scold them, but she was interrupted by Boscha who had the exact same idea. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! You're looking for your little sister's diary and you're mocking her for walking in on it?! Are you INSANE?"

"Oh, don't be like that, it's tough love." Emira explained. "She just needs to learn to lighten up."

One of Boscha's eyes twitched, and she was clearly about to lunge at the siblings and beat the living tar out of them if Amity hadn't have held her back.

"Fine, I can postpone my anger towards you for now," Boscha grimaced, "but the HUMAN being here is unacceptable."

Luz flinched slightly at the accusation but didn't do anything to deny it just yet, prompting Boscha to continue. "Not only have you TRAUMATIZED my best friend, but you have the audacity to try and search through her DIARY!?"

"Best friend...?" Amity asked, which was ignored in the scuffle. "Look, I-I didn't know we were gonna look for her diary, okay?? I-I just... I..." Luz struggled to justify her actions.

Boscha put her hands on her hips. "You what? Huh? And how does whatever 'I-I-I-I' means justify the whole, y'know, TRAUMA thing?"

Luz took a deep breath and stared at Boscha directly into the eyes. "I don't have an excuse for that, but if you'd just let me explain...!"

"Oh, so what you're basically saying is that YOU HAVE ANOTHER EXCUSE FOR YOUR RECKLESS ACTIONS!?" Boscha was clearly livid, so Amity put her hand on her arm. "Boscha. Stop. She's not worth it."

Boscha calmed down a little (well, relative to how Boscha usually is, at least) and no longer looked like a rabid pack animal. "Fine."

They both looked at Luz to explain, and after a mental reconfiguration, Luz felt ready.

To reveal everything.

And she did mean everything. Even... well, you-know-who.

She took another deep breath... and was interrupted by the appearance of a gigantic, grotesque, nightmarish version of Otabin, the titular bookmaker of the famous children's novel famous in the Boiling Isles.

"Wh-what is that?!" Boscha pointed at the gigantic, grotesque, nightmarish version of Otabin, the titular bookmaker of the famous children's novel famous in the Boiling Isles.

"I-I think it's a nightmarish version of Otabin! The drawing we did must've changed him somehow!" Edric called out.

Emira jabbed Edric with her elbow. "Yeah, shocker." Edric rolled his eyes, but the siblings both got a lot more frightened when the gigantic, grotesque, nightmarish version of Otabin, the titular bookmaker of the famous children's novel famous in the Boiling Isles, let out a guttural roar.

"Uhh, we gotta go..." Edric reluctantly spouted. "You can handle this, right, Mittens?" Emira put her hand on Amity's shoulder as to reassure her.

Amity stared at them incredulously. "Excuse me??" Unfortunately for her, Emira and Edric took this as a yes.

"Great, Mom says to be back within 30 minutes, byeeeeeeee!" The siblings almost trampled over themselves leaving.

Amity stared at them leaving. She was so overwhelmed with everything that she just... couldn't care anymore. She let out a solemn sigh before she got grabbed by Otabin.

"With claws and fangs and breaking bones, I found a friend to make my own." Otabin growled. Amity was practically paralyzed with fear, she couldn't even muster up the strength to scream.

"Amity!" Both Luz and Boscha cried out in sync.

Panicking, Luz quickly grabs the diary and attempts to write in it, but Boscha quickly snatched it away before she could.

"Wh- hey, I'm kinda trying to save Amity's life here!" Luz attempted to take the book back.

Boscha glared at her. "Even though you caused it in the first place?"

"I-I didn't even t-try to mess with Otabin! I was just... following... the Blight twins..." Luz shrunk into herself the more she tried to explain.

"Right, because you didn't directly cause it, that makes you the good guy in this situation even though you were aware of it?" Boscha scoffed. "Listen up, human, I don't know how it works in your world, but for all us normal people, problems aren't needlessly created and then solved with the power of friendship and cupcakes. You take what wrong you've done, no matter how horrible, acknowledge it, and try to change. Look at me. I'd be much worse off if I hadn't learned from my experiences."

Luz squinted at her, confused. "But... you're one of the meanest people I know."

"And?!" Boscha snapped. "We can't all be perfect! Titan knows you aren't!"

Luz looked away but didn't say anything to deny it. After all, it was technically her fault for not giving Bill strict enough guidelines.

At least, that's what Luz feels about what happened.

After a moderately long period of thinking and mental degradation, Luz thought of a plan.

"I got it." Luz exclaimed.

"What, another excuse for your reckless actions?" Luz would have glared at Boscha if the question didn't sound so genuine.

"Wh- no, to save Amity!" Luz's spirits lifted briefly as she started to elaborate. "First, you'll distract the monster by yelling insults at it from far away..."

Boscha rolled her eyes. "Gross." 

"...Secondly, using Amity's diary-" Luz noticed Boscha's death stare and quickly added "-ooor any book that happens to be empty..." Luz awkwardly laughed a little before clearing her throat and pointing extravagantly into the air. "I will draw and harness the power of Luzura!"  

"What's a Luzura?" Boscha asked snootily.

"It's my Great Witch Azura OC slash self-insert." Luz explained. "Anyway, after harnessing the power of-"

Boscha snickered. "You have a Great Witch Azura OC??"

Luz rolled her eyes. "For your information, I feel it's a very tasteful reimagining of the Azura story."

Boscha laughed heartily. "Neeeeeeeerrrddd!"

"Listen, Boscha, Amity's kind of in a life-or-death situation, and we're extremely short on time, so can you please just let me explain the plan? Unless you have any better ideas...?"

Boscha pondered Luz's query for a second. "Actually... I have a plan."

(Whoo, this was in the oven for like a week or so. Sorry for releasing a new chapter near the end of April of all places. Don't worry though, unless my plans change I should be releasing the next one at the same time or shortly thereafter. Hm, what's that, imaginary person who may or may not reflect the opinion of any given viewer? Padding? I prefer to think of all the Otabin descriptors as just a funny one-off running gag. Or maybe I'm running out of ideas and didn't want to release a 600 word chapter after a month and a half, who knows? I'll release the next chapter soon. Maybe right after, maybe in 12 hours and 10 minutes, who knows. Oh wait I already said who knows uhhhh bye.)