1. California, here we come!

Two words.

That's all it took to ruin my life. It happened in a heartbeat, less than a second. If you'd blinked, than you would have missed it. But it was happening, no doubt about that. Those two words popped out from nowhere, just appeared in thin air and than disappeared just as quickly. In a click of a finger, my life was over. And all it took were those two words...

"We're moving!" Yup. Those were the words that sunk the ship that was my heart. Goodbye Boston, goodbye friends, goodbye old life. "We're going to California! Your Dad got promoted to the head offices there, isn't it great?!" Mom squealed.

No. And just because you're saying it in an overly enthusiastic tone, does not make it great. What am I, a ten year old? What's next- bribing me with ice cream?! I buried my head in my hands and groaned loudly.

"What's wrong sweetie? Why aren't you excited?" Dad asked me with a worried expression. "I got promoted!" He said, as if I hadn't heard the first time. You see, the thing about my parents, Jess and Richard Evans, is that they always look on the bright side. Now don't get me wrong, I mean this can be absolutely wonderful in other situations, but when they're telling me that I have to move halfway across America? It's not so good.

"California?" I whispered, depression creeping over me briefly. Yes, I am prone to sudden deep feelings- one minute happy, the next in tears. Some people call it bipolar, but I prefer mood swings.

"Yes! A lovely place called Carmel, and you'll be attending Grove High school." Mom said. "Aren't you excited?"

"So excited." I mumbled sarcastically and slammed my fork down on the counter. "So frickin excited."

"Bianca Evans! We do not swear in this household!" Dad warned me.

"Sorry," I grunted. "I'm so fudging excited."

"That's more like it." Dad grinned.

***

Fast forward a couple of months and I was starting my first day at Grove High. It was a most exclusive and prestigious school. Mom and Dad could afford me to send me there because of Dad's promotion.

"Remember to smile and you'll make lots of new friends!" Mom offered advice as I climbed out of the car on the first day of school. My first day as a junior. Too bad I wasn't with my friends back home in Boston...

Nevertheless I plastered a huge smile on my face and walked into school. Thank god there was no school uniform. Skirts and blazers were NOT my thing at all! Instead I had opted for wearing my dark hair in a perky ponytail, and I wore skinny denim jeans and a crop top, because of the weather, with my favourite purple converse high tops.

I climbed the steps to reach the entrance and slipped in alongside plenty of other teenagers. I felt a sinking feeling as I saw what the girls looked like. Fake blondes with foundation caked onto their faces so that it was a few inches thick. Um. Excuse me while I throw up. Did they really think that any guy would be interested in something with layers of brown gloop on their faces and straw-like bleached hair? Seemed like brunettes and red-heads were an endangered species at Grove High!

I found my way to the office easily and tapped lightly on the door. "Come in." I heard a sharp tone on the other side of the door. I pushed it open and saw a tall, stick thin lady with a librarian image sitting behind the desk. "Can I help you?" She droned.

"Uh, yeah. I'm Bianca Evans. Your new student." I said, taking in her grimace. I had to hold back an uncomfortable shiver.

"Right. Bianca Evans. You're a junior, yes?" She questioned, not even letting me answer as she was looking through her papers. "Here's your locker number and timetable." Her grey eyes looked me up and down coldly. "That top is too short- I can see your navel." Erm have you seen what most of the other girls at this school wear, Miss snooty receptionist? I felt uncomfortable as she stared at my belly button.