11. Midnight Nap

The semi reunion with Liam went better than I had expected. I knew as soon as he wrapped his arms around me, and I fell into his familiar groove that it was going to be okay. Our hug didn't last long though, mostly because the guys kept clearing their throats awkwardly as they waited for us to part. I got the hint eventually and reluctantly pulled away from Liam.

With one hour before we had to return, Liam and I decided to go for a walk, and the others went to get ice cream on the pier and chat about basketball. I wanted time to talk to Liam. It felt like forever since we had spoken.

In fact, we didn't get to say a proper goodbye because my parents thought that I would be too upset. I could vaguely remember my last day, crying as I left Boston, it was all a blur of sadness and loneliness.

"You look...different," Liam commented, his eyes trailing up my body until they reached my lips, where his emerald green eyes lingered for a moment. I looked away quickly, out to sea where a faraway boat sailed the glistening waves, the moonlight being it's only guide.

"How so?" I said, turning back to him. He was just a little bit taller than I was, which I liked. I didn't have to crane my neck too much to see his sparkly eyes.

Liam smiled his lopsided grin. "Your skin is a little more tanned, your body a little slimmer, your eyes a little brighter, your teeth are somewhat whiter and-"

"Liam! You're such a charmer!" I cut him off, slapping his arm lightly.

"You're the only girl I want to charm," he replied, his voice husky and soft. I should have felt chills run through my body, and butterflies in my stomach, but instead I just felt uncomfortable. It didn't feel...right.

I took in the scene around me. Everything was so familiar, the pier ahead of us, a surface constructed of many irregular stones and rocks cemented together like a collage; the tiny cart where a kind woman sold ice cream on nice days; the town buzzing with people on bicycles, teenagers riding sidesaddle; boys and girls walking around the picturesque place hand in hand. It made me realise just how much I had missed it.

We took a turn down a cobblestone path next to the sand. For a few minutes we made small talk, about the weather, my trip and school, but then Liam caught me off guard with a question. "So I take it that you and Cole are dating?"

I choked on air suddenly, staring wide-eyed at Liam. He looked so innocent, so sweet, but I could see something behind those bright green eyes. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, whether he was angry, envious or jealous. After what seemed like a century, but was only a millisecond, I answered Liam's question. "Are you kidding? Cole and I are friends, just friends," I told him.

His expression changed to relief. Why? It wasn't like we could be together anyway. Liam lived in Boston, I lived in California, and there was also another reason. To be honest, I didn't feel the same as I had felt a couple of months ago. He didn't make my insides melt when he looked at me, and I didn't have to hold myself back from wanting to kiss him like I used to. I just didn't feel that excitement in my heart anymore.

"Well, I'm glad," said Liam with a smile.

"Why?" I asked him, maybe a little too quickly. But there was only one reason why he would be glad that I wasn't dating Cole, and it was that he might still like me.

Liam chuckled warmly, placing his thin fingers on my shoulder as we strolled along the secluded pathway. "There's no need to look so anxious Bianca," he said, his voice chilled and calm. "I'm just glad that you didn't move on."

"What do you mean?" I said. I twirled the flowy edges of my dress around my fingers while I waited for an answer.

Liam stopped walking by a small alcove on the peaceful seafront. The ground had a scattering of soft golden sand there and the water was lapping down below. He wrapped his warm fingers around mine, tangling them together and pulled me down to sit next to him. "What I'm trying to say is that..." Liam paused in thought, still grasping my hand. He gently massaged my fingers with his. "...I miss us."