13. Shit happens

I was buzzing with excitement when we arrived back from the art gallery and I was going to see my Grandpa. To me, he was the coolest Grandpa in the world and he always made me laugh even if his jokes were lame. I think that everyone has someone in their life who they look up to with admiration and as an inspiration. For me, it was Grandpa.

I had hundreds of memories with him. He was the one who urged me to start running when he saw that I was good at it. He taught me to chase my dreams no matter what, and fight for what I wanted. He took me to the beach everyday one Summer and timed me running and running for as long as I pleased. Grandpa just wanted to make me happy.

He was always smiling, always laughing, always full of life. Although he lived alone in a small cottage, he never complained about being lonely or sad. His wife (and my Grandma) passed away before I was even born to lung cancer, and although he missed her terribly, he would always put a brave face on for me. He was the best.

I found myself practically skipping up the stairs to the room to get changed before seeing Grandpa. He always told me that blue was my colour, so I changed into the turquoise dip dye shorts that I had done myself and a white t-shirt with a cartoon watermelon on it. I was just tying the laces of my converse when the door burst open and Cole came charging in, smiling.

"You look like you're up to mischief," I commented, narrowing my eyes at him. "What are you up to?"

Cole laughed. "Am I only ever smiling when I'm up to something?!"

"Pretty much," I said with a laugh.

"So what are you doing today? I heard about your fight with Amy..."

I groaned and buried my head in my pillow momentarily. Then I looked up at Cole again. "Don't even talk to me about that girl," I said. "Anyway, I'm going to see my Grandpa." I was going to ask Cole if he wanted to come with me, but then it struck me that Grandpa probably wouldn't be impressed if I turned up with a tattooed smoker who looked a lot older than a high school student. "What are you planning to do?"

"Don't worry about Amy. Shit happens, y'know? I'm just meeting up with the lads," he said casually, grabbing his skateboard and heading to the door.

I wasn't sure if I was familiar with Cole's friends. I gave him a questioning look and he chuckled. "You know, Ryan, Matt and Jay," he said. I was quite surprised to hear that Cole was hanging out with my friends. I wasn't sure what to say so I just nodded vaguely. "See you later!" He called and left the room.

Although I found it strange that Cole was hanging out with my friends without me, I soon forgot about it. I grabbed my phone and a key for the door before quickly checking my timetable. It was four o'clock and we had the rest of the afternoon free until seven for dinner. I would have lots of time with Grandpa.

I hurried out of the room and galloped down the stairs quickly. The lobby was empty except for a few girls who were standing around. I waved in their direction briefly, vaguely recognising them. I was on the verge of leaving when I heard a muffled cough behind me. It was the kind of cough you did to get someone's attention.

I turned my head to the group of girls again and my gaze hit Amy. Her silky red hair was twisted into an elaborate updo with pins and clips. She was leaning casually against the wall, surrounded by a posse of girls who were unconsciously playing with their iPhones. I wondered what she wanted from me, was she trying to show off that she didn't need me as a friend? She sure had changed since I first met her.

I began walking away, sensing her eyes staring straight through my back, like an X-ray, making all my bones and joints visible to the naked eye. I heard a few giggles as I pulled the heavy door open, and low whispers tickled my ears. Feeling self-conscious, I hurried out the door as quickly as possible.