3. No shit sherlock

BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP!

I let out a loud groan as the sound of my alarm clock brought me out of my deep sleep. I didn't change position, but instead just whacked the clock with my arm. It hurt like hell, making me want to scream. I failed to hit the snooze button however, and the insisting ringing continued to fill my eardrums.

BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP!

"Shut up!" I moaned pulling the duvet over my head to drown out the sound.

BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP!

It got louder. I couldn't take it anymore, so I sat up in my sleepy state and rubbed my eyes. I frowned in concentration and pressed the snooze button. Ah, 10 minutes of pure heaven awaited me...

"BIANCA!!! Are you up???"

Or not.

Fuming, I shot up in bed and shoved the covers off me, pulling my bedroom door open. "WHAT?" I demanded angrily as my Mom stood in the hall, hands on hips.

"There's somebody on the phone for you!" She said in sing song. "HURRY UP!" Her tone changed entirely.

I suppressed another groan and mumbled angrily to myself as I went into the kitchen to the phone. It was one of those phones that was connected to the wall with a long twirly cord. "Yeah?" I said, twisting the cord around my index finger.

"Bianca, is that you?"

"Yeah. Who's this?" I demanded, a yawn escaping my lips.

"It's Ethan, from-"

"I remember." I cut him off. "How did you get my number?"

"From the phonebook," he said, amused. "Duh! Hey, you don't sound so good- are you sick or something?"

"I just woke up," I snapped. "Now, is there a purpose for this phone call or do you just feel like a chat?!"

"Oh yeah," Ethan chuckled to himself. "Will you meet me before school starts? I wanna practise for the track team try-outs."

I felt a smile tug at my lips. "Ethan Blake, captain of the football team wants help from little old me?" I pretended to be surprised. "Well gee, I'm touched."

"Cool so you'll come?" He asked, hopeful.

"Sure," I said. "I'll be there in twenty."

I hung up the phone and went back into my bedroom. Our new house was considerably larger than the old one in Boston and I had my own en suite bathroom. I grabbed a fluffy white towel and shut the bathroom door behind me. I took a quick hot shower, then wrapped the towel around me and blow dried my hair. After I'd dried off, I got dressed in turquoise denim short shorts, because it was a boiling day and a simple white Hollister top with the little bird symbol in the same shade of turquoise as the shorts. I slipped on my white converse and left my hair loose in beach waves. Then I put on a little eye make-up for a change. I wouldn't be caught dead with that foundation gloop on my face.

As I was applying mascara to my eyelashes, I froze and stood staring at myself in the mirror. What the hell was I doing? Was I putting black stuff on my lashes for Ethan? I mean seriously, when did I ever wear make-up before? I shook my head, confused and grabbed my bag before getting in the car with my Mom to go to school.

"You look nice today," said Mom as I slid into the passenger seat. She started the engine and reversed out of the long driveway. Then she swerved the car onto the road and we got moving.

I shrugged. "Thanks Mom..." I said.

"Is it for that nice boy who rang you this morning?" I could practically see a hopeful glint in her eye as she said it. She had always wanted me to have a boyfriend and not just guy friends.