VII

Hi, lovelies!

I promised details about my date, so I'm here to deliver. We went to the movies and saw Latte By Your Bedside (which was amazing ngl) and my date did the CUTEST THING. They started ranting about how the movie wasn't as good as 27 Roses (totally agree) and they got so fired up about it, they puffed up like the big bad wolf does before blowing down a piggy's house! I can't say I'm the type to get that into movies, but I can appreciate someone who is. We'll be going out again soon, and also, since I know they're reading this, I really did have fun and I look forward to our next date.

Okay, now that I've delivered the deeds, I also need to tell you guys about the most important thing in my life right now: MY NEW KITTEN!!! (who, by popular demand, is officially named Milk!)

"Wow." Cooper spoke up, jolting me out of my thoughts. He hung over my shoulder to read Nina's post. "Dude, it sounds like the date was incredible! And she didn't think you were awkward!" He said cheerfully.

"I-I'm sure she's just being nice for the blog..." I muttered, but I couldn't help the swell of hope in my chest. Maybe I really wasn't as awkward as I thought I was.

After a few days of basically complete radio silence, Cooper finally reached out, and we met up at the pier. Our legs dangled off the edge of it as we ate ice cream.

"No way. A girl doesn't write that generously unless it went well." Cooper insisted with a grin. "I'm happy for you, Gar. Take a moment to be happy for yourself too, for God's sake."

"Thanks," I told him. "For setting us up." Cooper hummed.

A content silence fell over us, and I couldn't help using the opportunity to try to get Cooper to talk about what's going on with him. "How was your study retreat?" I opened jokingly.

Cooper groaned obnoxiously. "I almost didn't make it. There's soooo many words, Gar." He sulked. "So many, and they expect you to remember, like, most of them! And mom kept complaining whenever I listened to music while working on it," He rolled his eyes. "Listening to music was like the only time I could be productive."

"I'll bet." I told him with amusement. I couldn't really imagine Cooper getting much of anything done while sitting in pure silence by himself. "...Did your dad get home yet?"

Cooper fell silent for a moment, lowering his ice cream a little, not looking too keen on finishing it. "Last night."

My eyes widened. "Dude! Why didn't you text me!?" I scolded.

"Dude, give me a break. Drowning in homework, remember?" He insisted.

"I guess." I conceded, though still a bit pouty. "And...how is it? With both of your parents' home, I mean.

Cooper gave a kind of half-shrug. "We haven't really talked yet. Dad got home late, so we just exchanged brief greetings and then everyone went to bed." At that moment, Cooper's phone buzzed. He smiled rather bitterly. "Speaking of..."

I watched Cooper get out his phone and read the text, and something bitter settled in my chest at the way his eyes began to dull.

"Well, that's that. I'm off to war," Cooper teased, giving me a small salute as he pocketed his phone and prepared to get up.

I didn't really know what to offer him. I never did when it came to his father. "Are you gonna be okay?" I asked hesitantly.

Cooper stared at me for a moment before his face broke out into a cheeky grin. "Knowing that wonderful, practically soulmate, best friend is worried about me? I'll be just fine." He stated teasingly before leaning over and taking a huge bite out of my ice cream cone.