XVII

It was weird going out with Nina now that I knew I had feelings for Cooper.

On one hand I felt guilty, like I was betraying one, or both, of them, but at the same time I also was trying not to mess up again.

I knew I liked Cooper. I don't think I could deny that anymore, but I like Nina too, or at least, I think I do.

I thought I loved her, and now I know I don't. But do I like her? Or was she really just somebody who I looked up to because of how brave she was?

Hopefully, today would let me find out.

"Do you like boats?" Nina asked me abruptly as she ate another spoonful of her ice cream.

I looked up from my own sundae. "Boats? Uh, I guess? I don't really have a preference. I've never even been on one."

Nina smiled. "Well you know that ship by the pier? There's gonna be an hour-long ride around, I thought we could go on it."

"Isn't that crazy expensive?" I questioned.

She shook her head. "It's my dad's boat. We can go for free." She winked at me.

Her dad owned a boat? And gave boat rides to tourists? How did I not know about that? I've been seeing Nina for months.

Actually, I'm not sure I ever bothered to ask anything about her family. I've never even been to her house.

"Uh, okay, we can do that." I nodded a little, still a bit surprised at just how little I know about my own girlfriend.

Nina beamed at me. "Great! Let's finish these," She gestured to our ice creams. "And head there. It'll be a blast!"

We boarded the tour boat and Nina took me up to the front of it.

"I love going on boats. Seeing the water, looking at the fish," Nina leaned over the edge, resting her arms on the railing. She glanced at me. "You like fishing?"

"Fishing?" I did a double take. "Uh, not particularly. The idea of catching and killing a fish kind of makes me want to throw up."

Nina let out a laugh. "Fair enough. I've been fishing since I was little so I guess it doesn't bother me."

"I never knew you fished." I noted in surprise.

She shrugged. "It's never come up, I suppose."

No, it hasn't.

Is that my fault?

"The fresh air is also nice. Oh, what's your favorite fish?" Nina asked. "Mine's totally pufferfish. They're so cute but also so dangerous, and they make the funniest faces." She puffed out her lips, trying to mimic one.

I thought about it for a moment, before sighing. "I dunno. I guess I'm not a big fish person? Maybe clown fish?" They kind of reminded me of Cooper.

Nina hummed. "That's a good one. Clown fish are cute." She turned to look at me with her classic fond smile, resting her chin in her hand. "So what do you like?"

I wasn't used to the question. The only real friend I've ever had is Cooper, and since we kind of grew up together there was no real need to find out what the other liked, it just happened naturally.

"Well..." I hesitated, trying to think of something interesting about myself. "I guess I like skipping rocks."

"You know how to skip rocks?" Nina asked in awe. "Seriously? Can you show me?"