IX

The next couple of weeks went by in the blink of an eye. Nina and I had gone out multiple times to various movies, or for ice cream, or just walks.

And it was fine. But it wasn't exciting.

Is this how relationships just were? Once you were together, the excitement is gone? It just becomes a sense of normalcy to be together?

If this is how it was to date somebody, I don't understand how anyone could go out with anyone and be content.

Meeting up with Nina shouldn't feel like- like a chore. It shouldn't have dread associated with it.

So why does it? Why isn't this everything I wanted?

"Uh...Gray?" I snapped out of my thoughts to look across the table at Nina, who was giving me a concerned expression. "Are you okay? You stopped eating your ice cream."

I looked down briefly at my cup of melted mush before pushing it aside. "Sorry, not hungry, I guess."

"Oh, okay." She clearly didn't believe me, but I appreciate that she didn't push it. "Um...did you hear what I said?"

Shit. Talk about boyfriend of the year. "Uh...no." I accepted my fate with a defeated sigh and a sheepish smile. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"No worries. Okay, so you know my friend Eleanor?" She waited for my nod of confirmation. "Well, she recently decided to get back on the dating scene and she's always thought Cooper was really funny, so I was wondering if we could do a double date? If Cooper would have any interest?" She asked me hesitantly.

Maybe I should've expected this, after Eleanor made it obvious she had a crush on him. But it still somehow caught me by surprise.

Nina was looking at me with a hopeful expression, and I really didn't want to disappoint her.

Besides, I'd love to get Cooper out of his house. I haven't even seen him since the fair, and that was weeks ago.

I know he said he needed time, but it's starting to feel like he's flat out avoiding me.

Maybe this could be good for us; for him.

"Yeah, Cooper would love that." I found myself stating. "Set it up."

Nina let out a breath of relief, beaming at me. "Oh, good. Eleanor is really sweet. I think they would get along well! Maybe we can go to that new restaurant on the corner? I'll need to text Eleanor and see when she's available, but this is great. Thank you so much, Gray!"

Nina continued to talk about the restaurant and about what she might wear and stuff, but I honestly couldn't bring myself to pay attention.

All I could think about was heading to Cooper's house, now that I had a good excuse to go check on him.

"You did what?" Were the first words out of Cooper's mouth when he opened the door and I explained what I did.

I did my best to give him an innocent smile. "Okay, I know the timing isn't great, but you've been cooped up at home, anyway! And Eleanor sounds pretty into you so—"

Cooper shook his head at me, waving his hands around to signal me to be quiet. "Hold on- you- you agreed to a double date for me? A girl I've only met once before and barely spoke to!?" He hissed.

It threw me off a bit. "...Why are you so mad?"

"Why am I—" Cooper looked at me like I grew two heads. "Let me see if I understand this. I tell you I need space, and you set me up on a double date without even asking me first?"

Now I was getting annoyed. "What is the big deal!? You're constantly dragging me along on shit I hate. Besides, you don't even have a girlfriend, so why not give it a go!?"

Cooper's jaw locked, like he was trying to hold back from screaming at me. It only made me even more confused. "Did you ever think that maybe I don't want a girlfriend? You had no right—" My eyes widened. "YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO SET ME UP LIKE THIS—"

"Okay, okay!" I held my hands up in defense, glaring at him. "Jesus Christ, Cooper. It's not like I'm asking you to marry this girl. I'm just trying to do something nice for Nina; for our relationship. Aren't you supposed to have my back in situations like this!? Isn't this what best friends are for!?"

Cooper's anger faded into an expression I couldn't read. He opened his mouth a few times as if to speak, but kept changing his mind.

I hesitantly spoke out a terrible thought that had occurred to me earlier. "Cooper...I kind of...I've been getting the feeling that you're jealous."

"Jealous?" His eyes widened.

"Because I have a girlfriend and you don't." I explained. Cooper's expression went strangely blank. "Maybe if you had a girlfriend of your own then—"

"Fine." He cut me off coldly. "Fine, I'll go on the date. Text me the details."

I let out a sigh of relief, grinning widely. "Thank you. Seriously, it'll be a blast, you'll see—"

"Yeah, sure." He turned and headed back into his house. "See you then."

He slammed the door in my face. I tried to ignore the ache in my chest. Obviously I was right about the whole jealousy thing.

But this is good. It's one step closer to fixing things. Maybe if Cooper and Eleanor hit it off then he won't have to be jealous anymore.

And then, maybe, he'll stop shutting me out.

I texted Nina to confirm the double date was a go, earning me several heart emojis.

They looked nice, and I know they were supposed to make me feel all fuzzy inside. They were kind of like a reminder that she was my girlfriend, after all.

But standing out here on Cooper's porch by myself, all I could feel was a heavy weight in the pit of my stomach.