XVI

Of course, my mind refused to consider that it could actually be as simple as all that.

My mind felt like a rollercoaster and I had no one to talk to because my best friend is in love with me so I can't go to him about my relationship issues.

At least, I don't think I can? Can I?

I don't want to be a dick and shove my relationship in Cooper's face anymore than I have to, but he's also my best friend for a reason. He's supposed to be the person I talk to about this shit.

It's us before the rest of the world, isn't it? If it's not, then what am I left with?

I texted Cooper with those thoughts in mind.

G: Hey are you free? I really need to talk

C: am i free??? Dude im hoemless lmao

G: Meet at the pier?

C: actaully im at the park colecting rocks, thers no one else aruond think yuo cuold just come here?

G: Sure, be there in 5

When I got to the park, I found Cooper digging around by a tree like an animal, dirt getting all over his clothes and hands.

He spotted me approaching and grinned, holding up a large rock to show me. "Pretty nice, right? It'll look great with the others, I mean, if I'm ever allowed home again."

I couldn't help my pure fondness as I watched him. I loved how he could find joy in the simple things, how he didn't have to overthink everything like I did. He didn't care about his appearance or if it would look weird that he was collecting rocks, he just did it because it was fun.

"So...what's up? You sounded pretty serious in your text." He noted, brushing his hands off on his pants as he stood up.

The reminder of why I was here put me a bit on edge. No matter how I looked at it, this was going to be awkward.

"I...I need some advice about Nina." I admitted, wringing my hands anxiously.

Cooper frowned, looking at me briefly before turning to the tree. He reached up and grabbed a spot where the trunk and a branch met, beginning to climb. "Yeah?"

"Yeah. And I know that's kind of...I mean, is that okay?" I asked. "Can we talk about that or is that...I'm not trying to be a jerk."

"You can talk to me about anything, stupid." Cooper stated as he reached the top of the branch and sat down, giving me a sincere smile.

I smiled back. "I just want to know, um, how did you know? That you liked me, I mean. How did you know that's what it was, and not admiration or something?"

Cooper seemed to take a moment to think over my question, before slowly leaning to the side and letting himself slide off the branch.

I nearly had a heart attack until I saw he'd grabbed the branch with his legs, merely swinging upside down from it. His hat dropped to the ground.

"Well, I guess I knew, I mean really knew, on my eleventh birthday." He admitted.

I raised an eyebrow. "Your eleventh- dude that day was a disaster."

Cooper burst out into laughter. "Yeah I know, I was there." He took a moment to calm himself before continuing. "Seriously though. That's the day I knew."

"You lost me." I crossed my arms.

Cooper rolled his eyes. "Garyyyy, I don't want to get mushyyyy." He whined.