VIII

"Gary...I don't know about this." Cooper whined as I tugged him by his arm towards the Pier Fair; an event Nina told me about earlier in the week.

Originally she suggested it as a date, but we ended up deciding to make a whole night of it; that way I could have the chance to get to know her friends.

And it was a good opportunity to get Cooper out of the house, since he'd pretty much been avoiding me for the last two weeks.

Not that he'd ever admit to it. He always had some excuse ready.

Well not this time, 'Coops. I'm on a journey to be the main character in my own story and that means dragging my best friend along on my adventures.

"It'll be fine. Nina's friends are really nice," I paused. "so I hear." Cooper gave me a look.

Well I can only imagine they're nice. Nina wouldn't be friends with a bunch of jerks, surely.

"Gray, Cooper, over here!" I looked over to see Nina with her friends, waving her hand to gesture for us to come over.

I dragged the still reluctant Cooper over to the group. "Thanks for waiting." I told them politely.

Nina smiled at me and gestured to her friends. "Guys, this is my boyfriend Gray and his best friend Cooper. Gray, Cooper, these are my friends, Eleanor," She pointed to a girl with dark skin with her hair in twin braids, wearing a loose, light green t-shirt and some jeans. Eleanor gave a shy wave and Nina moved on to the next friend.

She pointed towards a boy with multiple piercings in his ears and pink hair in a side-shave style. He was wearing black jeans with chains attached to them, a pink shirt and a black leather jacket over it. "Joshua."

"Sup." He greeted with a grin and a wink, hands shoved in his pockets.

"And finally, Molly." Nina's final friend was a girl with slightly tanned skin and dirty blonde hair put up in a loose ponytail. She was wearing a striped long-sleeved shirt and some overalls.

Cooper looked at her with surprise. "Hey, you're on the volleyball team, aren't you?

"Yeah, you a fan?" Molly grinned.

Cooper shrugged a little. "Not exactly, I mean," He rubbed the back of his neck anxiously. "I've seen a game or two. You're the libero, right?"

Molly smirked slightly, as if impressed. "So you do know some stuff. Well, it's nice to meet you Cooper." She held out her hand for him to shake.

He did so, albeit rather awkwardly. I don't know why he was so anxious, Cooper's usually the one who's good around new people.

Nina took my hand, bringing my attention to her. "So, what should we start with? Games? Food? Rides?"

"Oh please, who comes to one of these things and doesn't start with the rides?" Joshua insisted.

"Ohhh, Cooper you like rollercoasters?" Molly asked, glancing over at the mini coaster set up nearby before looking at him expectantly.

Cooper stammered. "Oh, I guess so—"

Molly grabbed his arm. "Let's go then. See you guys later!"

"But—" Cooper looked back at me, for what I wasn't really sure.

I did my best to give an encouraging smile as he was dragged away by Molly towards the ride.

"I say we go on that thing," Nina grinned, pointing towards a ride high up in the air.

It was a kind of crane that flipped people around, upside down and everything.

"Oh...that looks..." Nausea built up in my stomach. "Intimidating."