XIII

Going to the library hadn't been on my agenda for the day, but Nina had talked about a particular novel so much that I had to give it a go.

Apparently, it was some contemporary romance that was apparently a must, and she also claimed it was one of the best books she'd ever read.

So, here I am, spending my weekend looking for said novel.

At least, that was the original goal.

But that quickly flew out the window when I saw who was sitting at one of the tables, with books and papers and other various supplies sprawled out as if a tornado had hit.

Cooper was scribbling away on some paper, frantically looking back and forth between it and some book.

Cooper was studying.

Alone.

It was an odd sight. Cooper never studied alone. He loathed schoolwork and once told me that us tackling our homework together was the only thing that could make it bearable.

Before I knew what I was doing, my feet were moving me over to his table.

"Hey." I spoke out in a whisper.

Cooper jolted in his seat, head snapping up to meet my gaze. "Gary- uh- what...what are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" I shot back quietly. "You're studying? Alone in the library? Since when?"

"Wow, do you hear that? That's the sound of this conversation being over." Cooper sassed suddenly, getting up from the table and hurrying down one of the book aisles.

I followed him. "So, is that just it? We can't study together anymore? What the hell happened to nothing's changed?"

"Nothing has changed." Cooper stated simply, scanning the shelf. "I just wanted to study on my own for once. Why is that bad?"

"Because it's not you-" I huffed as he continued looking at the books. "Cooper, would you stop searching the shelves and actually talk to me?"

To my annoyance, Cooper snatched up a book and smiled at me. "No can do, sir-oo. I have wayyy too much studying to do before our next test." He held up the book as if to prove his point.

"Okay, first of all, that book is for science, not English." I deadpanned, grabbing the book from him and setting it back on the shelf. "And second of all, I'm not letting this go until we talk." I told him firmly.

Cooper frowned at me, rolling one of his shoulders as his eyes drifted to the shelf. "Why do we have to talk? Why can't we just...pretend it didn't happen?"

"Because it did happen!" I hissed quietly, trying not to disturb others in the library. "Look, at the very least you could- you could yell at me or something!"

"Yell at you?" Cooper raised an eyebrow in amusement; like an asshole.

I clicked my tongue. "Well- aren't you mad? I was oblivious to your feelings. I guilted you into going on that date. I'm dating someone else." Cooper rolled his eyes at my last comment. "You could at least...be angry with me instead of ignoring me."

Cooper shifted his weight to his other foot, frowning at me. "Do we have to do this now? I have a test to study for, you have a girlfriend to get back to, if we have to talk about this then let's talk later—"

He tried to get around me and I panicked and slammed my hand against the shelf, boxing him in. Cooper's eyes widened in surprise and I realized how close I'd gotten to him.

I could smell his breath. Minty fresh.

Jesus Christ.

Quickly, I let go of the shelf and coughed awkwardly. When did it get so goddamn warm in here!?