Chapter 2 - Dear Sweet Mother

I hung my head low, "Miss Lanthe gave it to me." I gulped, knowing I couldn't even lie to help her case. Those words wouldn't dare to come out of my mouth even if I tried. I kept staring at the floor, watching as a couple of tears fell. I quickly wiped them away and apologized again.

"That's what I thought," He took a step back, "I'm going to need to have a thorough talk with her."

I could hear the creak of the wood as he walked out of my room, my mind overflowing with racing thoughts. Was he going to just talk to her? Or was it a lie? What was he going to do? Fire her, or worse... treat her the same way he treats me?

"Wait!" I burst running out the door, grabbing onto the rim of his puffy coat sleeve. The words came out urgently, one right after the other, "Don't hurt her, please! She didn't do anything wrong, if anything I did! I will take her punishment, just don't touch her!" I pleaded with the devil, pleaded for something that might have been a lost cause.

It didn't take long until I was tossed to the floor with one sharp move from his arm. "Get your filthy hands off of my coat. It's designer," He looked me right in the eye, his head held high. "I'm not going to hurt my best maid now, would I?" His words were filled with sincerity, but I knew he couldn't be telling the truth. He was a snake, making you think the best when he planned the worst. But, believing this potential truth would help me stay calm, if it means I can bring peace of mind, then I will not think of anything else. She will be safe. Whatever will happen will happen anyway, it's not like I can do anything about it now.

I got up as quickly as possible and ran back to my room, shutting the door but catching it before it slammed. I was then again on my floor, sobbing my eyes out. It would be my fault for whatever would come next. I decided to creep into my bed and try not to think about it. She will be fine, she will be fine, she will be fine, she will be fine...

I drifted off and after what felt like a couple of minutes, woke up to the sharp screech of a floorboard outside my room. I gazed outside: it would be pitch black if the sky had not been illuminated by the vibrant bright neon signs of nightclubs and stores. It calmed me to see that the street fights had died down, I haven't ever stayed up late enough to see such an atmosphere there, it was almost unbelievable. The dark made the town look so lively like a city and not some sort of run-down area where people were either in poverty or filthy rich. Instead of gunshots and agonizing screams, there were squeals of happiness and people hanging in large groups, not beating others to death but simply having innocent fun with their friends. I wonder what it would be like out there, what it would smell like, or how it would look. Was it warm? Cold? Was there wind? Are there gardens? Oh, what it would be like to see some actual flowers! Miss Lanthe showed me pictures when I was younger. She taught me how to care for them, how much water to give specific ones, which ones could be brewed into tea, which ones could be used for medicine... Miss Lanthe was–

My ears suddenly rang, clearing my thoughts out in only seconds. I brought my hands up to my head as it ached and stung, the ringing so intense I couldn't hear anything else besides it. When I regained my senses, there was nothing but muffled screams and a loud crunch. Then, the screaming came to a sudden halt. It was an unmistakable chime, something I'd only heard once before, when sir... when he broke my sister's neck.

I must have misheard, right? Maybe someone broke into the estate. I mean, he was a demon with poor relations with others: I had assumed so from his two bodyguards who followed him everywhere. I had to have been hearing nonsense since I just woke up, I'm not thinking straight right now. That had to just be one of those random unexplained sounds you hear at night, yes, that's it! It was nothing but me being paranoid.

I crawled back to the corner of my bed and hid myself in the thin coarse blankets, seeking relief from my tired state. Besides, if I wake up early Miss Lanthe makes me breakfast! But, that never seems to happen. She makes breakfast for him before he's off to work, then she goes and tends to the gardens which are out of where I am allowed to go. Maybe this time I'll wake up and get a meal I haven't seen in ages. Her cooking is just the best, almost like the way eating a homecooked pie made by your mother was. It made you feel warm and loved like nothing bad was going to happen as long as you were with them. Although I've only woken up early enough to experience this a handful of times, I was hoping tomorrow morning would be another one.