Chapter 6 - Vanilla

ART ABOVE NOT MINE

Alastor had left and I was all alone. I got accustomed to the feeling I would get when he would just sit and watch me as he smoked, his eyes on every inch of my body, not my face. So, when Alastor had the decency to leave, it felt odd.

I sighed and checked the door, looking for a reason not to trust him. Was the door opened a crack? Was there a peephole in the wood? I looked a little closer, squinted my eyes, and examined it up and down for a while, but I couldn't see anything. I wasn't being watched.

There was a large sense of security in that feeling, but it felt so foreign. Should I even believe it was true? All of this was happening too fast, these people were too nice to me. It didn't feel right. I can't bring myself to trust them, there has to be something off about them! They're just waiting for me to lower my guard and then sell me off or something. I can't trust them, but I can't leave this place either. This hotel is the only thing I have that's even remotely safe.

My dress fell to the floor and I fled to the bathroom quickly, fearing that the door would burst open and he would be there. I know he doesn't even live in this hotel, and probably doesn't even know I'm here, but I can't shake that feeling off. It always feels like he's just behind a corner, somewhere near me, listening and watching. Once inside the bathroom, I noticed it was quite clean. The sink was shiny, the mirror crystal clear, and the beige curtains that covered the shower had an exquisite pattern on them. The whole place had a pleasant fragrance of sweet vanilla, and the large soft towels didn't smell sour like the ones at the estate. These smelled fresh and felt slightly warm to the touch.

I wrapped one around my frail body, covering myself up well. Then, I exited the bathroom and peeked my head out of the door to my room. "Alastor?" I called out, though my voice felt small when it echoed throughout the long hallway. Within an instant, he seemed to have manifested from the shadows, appearing a couple of feet in front of me with that unbothered smile of his.

"Yes, my dear?" The radio static in the background of his voice seemed a little louder than usual as he looked at my face.

I stayed silent for a second before speaking again, my body in a towel hidden behind the door. "I have my clothes ready to wash."

"Wonderful! I will send Niffty to come pick them up in a few minutes. You should just get some rest before we go out, sweetheart." Done with this conversation, he turned around and disappeared into the dark. I have plenty of time before we go out, might as well take a nap, but, I need to shower first, I feel filthy.

I shut my door softly and yawned as I trudged into the bathroom again and took off the towel, putting it back where I got it. Immediately, I felt my exposed body get a little cold. If there was one weird thing about this hotel, it would be the temperature. Downstairs by the main entrance, it was normal, but up here on the third floor, it was close to a cold Autumn day. Hopefully, the water systems in this hotel are functional... Charlie did mention how much of a mess this place was.

I went inside the shower and reached to turn the water on, only to realize I had no idea how this thing worked.

"What the fuck," I muttered as I looked at it. There were three handles, all unlabelled. I guess it was just going to be trial and error...

I turned the one on the far right on all the way and the water rushed out of the faucet, then I flipped on the one in the middle and suddenly the water all came out from the showerhead above. I gave it a minute or two to heat up before I got in, but instead of nice warm cozy water, it was icy cold.

I let out a little shriek and stumbled backward, almost tripping over myself. I laughed and then reached my hand back in, this time turning the one on the far left while turning the right counterclockwise slightly. Well, at least now I know how the shower works.