2. Freedoms Dawn

"Baby, let the games begin. Let the games begin. Are you ready for it?" 

...Ready for it?  - Taylor Swift

Leaning against the dropship, I watched as Clarke left for the mountain with a few others. I was curious to explore our surroundings further but I'd be lying if I wasn't interested in running this shit show. Barely half a day had passed and things have already kicked off. 

Lost in my thoughts, I was jolted back to reality when I noticed Murphy a few meters away, etching something into the drop ship. I took a step forward when I noticed he'd carved 'first son, first to dye'.

"Nice spelling genius." I laughed as Murphy turned to look at me with a surprised expression. 

"You know if you're planning on killing someone it's probably best not to announce it." The older brother said with a chuckle walking up beside me as I watched on curiously. 

"You're not a real member of the guard, are you?" Murphy asked gesturing to the boy's uniform. 

"No I'm not, but the real guard will be here soon unless we do something to stop it." The boy said looking between Murphy and me. 

"You don't think they'll forgive our crimes, do you?" He explained as I considered his point. However, I wasn't as concerned with being forgiven I could care less. I was more focused on the fact I was finally free from my father's constant disappointment and hatred and I'd like to keep it that way. "Even if they do, then what? People like us get jobs and become model citizens. No, if we're lucky we pick up their trash-"

"Wait, I've got it... the bracelets." I interrupt holding up my wrist. "These are the only things letting them know whether it's safe to follow us down or not. But if we take them off, they'll think we're dead, that it's not safe to follow." I explain as the boys watch me intently. 

"Wow, I certainly didn't expect you to want Daddy dearest to leave you down here," Murphy replied as I scoffed, slightly aggravated by him wrongly assuming things about my relationship with my father. Not that we even have a relationship to begin with. 

"Stop saying Daddy, it's so perverse," I replied as Murphy held up his hands. 

"What? A boy can dream." He replied as I rolled my eyes. 

"Look we need to get these things off before they start getting any ideas about joining us," I replied pointing to the sky. 

"And if we do what's in it for us?" Murphy said gesturing between him and the other boy. 

"Someone's gotta help me run things around here," I replied watching as Murphy nodded and took off, leaving the brunette lingering beside me. "Got a problem with that?"