8. Power Struggle

"Sleeping in tents, it's nice to have a friend."

It's Nice to Have a Friend - Taylor Swift

After Bellamy and I made our way back to camp my mind was still racing with the image of Charlotte jumping off the cliff. I couldn't shake the guilt that was eating me away. I decided to head to the drop ship to find something to distract myself. As I entered the ship Octavia, Monty and Jasper stood ominously over the table where all the wristbands were wired up. 

"Jesus, what happened here?" I asked walking up and taking in their defeated expressions. The mood in the dropship clearly wasn't high. 

"The plan didn't work, I accidentally fried all the wristbands..." Monty sighed with defeat looking over the fried wristbands. I know he'd spent a lot of time trying to find ways to contact the arc without any success so I rubbed his shoulder gently while he gave me a weak smile as thanks. 

If I'm honest I was secretly relieved to find out the Ark wouldn't be following us down to earth anytime soon. I know it's selfish but I felt like we had all finally escaped our confinement within rules and laws. We had worked hard to make our very own way of life down here. For once in my life I had control. Bellamy, Clarke and I were leading this camp together. I knew if the arc came down I'd have to give up that power. Selfishly, I wasn't ready for that. 

"This is all my fault." Jasper spoke up as Octavia was quick to comfort him, rubbing his shoulder gently. My brows rose in surprise at their interaction as I caught a smile appearing on Monty's face from beside me. 

"No it's not, you tried and that's all that matters." Octavia replied in a soft voice while Monty and I watched the interaction silently from across the table. Octavia's eyes caught mine as I gave her a subtle smirk to which she rolled her eyes. I left them to it as I turned away and made my way to the drop ship exit before Octavia jogged to catch up beside me. 

"Jasper, huh?" I chuckled turning to face Octavia as she bumped my shoulder in response. 

"Maybe." She drew out as we sat down next to each other facing the fire. 

"I honestly wouldn't have picked him to be your type. I can picture you with someone a bit more manly and tough." I replied jokingly as Octavia laughed in response. 

"Yeah, you're probably right." Octavia sighed while poking a stick into the fire and playing with the ashes. "What about you then? What's your type?"

"Tall, dark, handsome." I counted the traits on my fingers sarcastically as Octavia turned to me with a wide-eyed grin. 

"I knew it! You and Bellamy." Octavia gasped coming to some sort of ridiculous realisation as I teasingly shoved her while rolling my eyes. 

"I'm sorry did I add arrogant jerk to that list?" I retorted as she chuckled at my comment before shaking her head.