3. Forging Alliances

"Their heavy words can't bring me down. Boy, I've been raised from the dead."

Radio - Lana Del Ray

.・。☽.・゜✭・.・

In the dimly lit training room of the Ark, I stood before a punching bag, my fists wrapped tightly in tape. Beads of sweat glisten on my forehead as I stare at the target in front of me, determination burning in my eyes. My father's voice echoes in my mind, driving me forward with every strike. Ironically, thanks to my father I have access to the cadet training areas

"You need to be stronger, Lucinda. You need to be better," His words played on repeat like a song I couldn't get out of my head. I felt the weight of his expectations pressing down on me, a heavy burden I couldn't shake off.

With a sharp exhale, I launch into my routine, my fists flying as I unleash a round of punches. Each impact reverberates through my body, but I push through the pain, channelling my frustration and anger into my movements.

Training has become my sanctuary, the one place where I can escape the suffocating pressure of my father's gaze. Here, I am in control. Here, I can prove myself.

But no matter how hard I train, no matter how many hours I spend perfecting my technique, it never seems to be enough. I can never quite reach the impossible standard set by my father, and can never quite fill the void left by the absence of a son.

As I land a final, powerful blow, the punching bag swings wildly on its chain, the sound of its impact echoing through the empty room. Breathing heavily, I step back, my chest rising and falling with each ragged breath.

But even in my exhaustion, even in the ache of my muscles, I know I can't stop. I can't afford to rest, can't afford to falter. Deep down, I know that my father's approval is the only thing that can fill the emptiness inside me. And so, I wipe the sweat from my brow and return to my training, pushing my body to its limits in a defeating pursuit of validation.

.・。☽.・゜✭・.・

My eyes slowly opened as I woke up on Earth for the first time. And let me tell you, it felt amazing. Gone were the confines of the Ark, the weight of my father's expectations, and the haunting memories of my past. The Ark was behind me now, a distant memory fading into the past. 

I quickly slipped on a black and pulled on my combat boots, lacing them up. Running my hands through my long hair, I smoothed out any tangles before securing it in a tight ponytail. As I made my way out of my tent I heard the scream of a girl. My head quickly shot in the direction of the scream before running to the fire. A crowd had formed around the fire, by the time I pushed through I could see Murphy holding a girl over the flames.