Chapter twenty-nine

89- 'The last minute of normal time now can England get another, a goal kick from Mary up to Rosie, quite far down the pitch for the youngster, she's going for it anyways and she's at the halfway line AND SHES GOING FOR IT. AND IT'S IN! What a goal, the youngster running to celebrate with Mary the rest of the team behind her, what a wonderful game for England.'

Rosie's POV

When I woke up this morning I could really feel the nerves. I laid in bed for a few minutes before rolling out of Leah's arms to grab my phone off the table next to me. When it switched on the first thing I saw was a message from Lauryn

Lauryn (love heart emoji): Good luck today me and the fam will be supporting you all the way no matter what the result today love you lots xxx

Rosie: Thanks ml I can't wait to see you when you come back over love you loads too xxx

After that I completely switched my phone off, no distractions, today could change my life. Forever.

At breakfast Leah was acting weird she was all nervous and couldn't look me in the eyes which I felt was odd but just passed it off as nerves for the match, it was a big game for her to be the captain I know she was having a few doubts of actually wearing the armband today but after talking to her mum she decided she would.

I sat with Beth at breakfast and then also on the bus as I think the nerves were catching up to Leah, she really wasn't being herself. Beth, as usual, was being loud on the way to Wembley so I sat with my ear defenders on trying to block out the noise, I think as we got closer the nerves took over as she quietened down a bit.

I didn't realise we had parked up and everyone was getting off the bus until Lotte picked me up off the seat and carried me in through the pathway that was made.

Leah's POV

I'm so nervous.

Today is the day.

The day I ask Rosie if she will be my daughter.

I woke up this morning and Rosie was already awake laid by my side staring at the curtains. I didn't speak much to her this morning, which I think she noticed but she didn't comment on it. We all sang happy birthday to her at breakfast whilst the staff brought her out a candle in a cheese toast, one of her favourites and her most recent pre-match meal.

The smile on her face was more than enough to calm my nerves about the game but what I was going to ask her after the game was really messing with my head.

Rosie chose to sit with Beth on the bus, probably to give me some space to think, the whole bus ride there I was messaging my mum and eventually she managed to calm my nerves. She was bringing the adoption papers that I was yet to sign that I would give Rosie after the game, if we won that is.

Everyone seems confident that we will win but there's always a chance of losing, it's racking around in my brain.

'What if we lose?'

'Will I ask her if we lose?'

'If I don't, when?'

'How would Rosie feel if we lost?'

'Will she blame herself for it?'

When we got to Wembley I was the first off the bus as I sat closest to the front. As I got into the changing rooms and sat in the cubby with my shirt hanging in it. I noticed Lotte walking in with Rosie wrapped around her, I gave her a confused look and she just mouthed 'nerves' to me and I understood.

As it got closer to kick off the nerves in the changing room were high but I decided to change that as I played some ABBA, all of the girls even Rosie joined in singing, her nerves subsiding for the moment.

We all got called out to go and do our warm-ups as the entrances had just opened to the public, it had been decided between me and all the staff that we would go out then as to not overwhelm Rosie, making her nervous.

After we finished warm ups I was the first back into the changing rooms to check my phone I had a notification from Viv saying that they were in the office with one of the physios, I made sure not to be suspicious as the girls came back into the changing rooms and they all sat down in their cubby's. Once all the girls were back inside and Sarina was just about to start her talk, I messaged Viv to say they could come to the door.

Sarina started to speak "Right I shall start with the lineup, so in goal is Mary the back four will be Lucy, Millie, Leah and Rachel, in midfield will be Georgia and Keira and then upfront will be Beth M, Fran, Lauren and Ellen. I will be bringing on Rosie and Alessia on at half time no matter how we are paying and then I may make some changes depending on how we are paying" She stopped speaking as one of the trainers came to talk to her whispering in her ear, "I have just been informed that Popp has been taken out of their lineup and we also have a very special guest at the door" As she says this someone from the media team opened the door to reveal Viv stood with Coco letting her loose in the changing rooms.

Rosie immediately leapt out of her seat and towards her, as coco ran up to her wagging her tail and then knocking her over licking her face out of excitement.

"Ok, ok I love you too stop with the kisses" Rosie said sitting back up as everyone watched on in awe of their relationship, after a few minutes of everyone saying hello to Coco and Sarina telling Rosie she could sit with her at the bench, and a few tears at that, we all lined up ready to go.

Rosie was the first person to walk out for the subs, her ear defenders on and Coco by her side, there was nothing stopping my little girl, nothing at all.

*game time*

1st min- 'And they're off the English side not changing a thing, as we can see the young English player Rosie is sat on the sub bench with what seems to be her dog, Coco'

17th min- 'And its Ellen White on goal, she shoots on target, ooooh it's saved by the goalkeeper unlucky'

37th min- 'And its Germany on for the goal, and OH what a save from Mary Earps'

Half time- 'The half time whistle has just been blown and it is still nil-nil here at Wembley who will take home the trophy'

*half time*

45th min- 'Looks like the England manager has had some changes, Toone, Kelly and Rosie coming on lets see if they make a difference'

62nd min- 'And it's Walsh with the ball a long pass to Toone and shes running for it, she chips it over the keeper AND ITS IN can the England side do it'

79th min- 'And its Germany on the attack Magull runs and it just scrapes Earps fingertips, its now 1-1 at Wembley stadium'

90th min (+2)- 'And its going into extra time here in London, both teams hoping to bring home the trophy'

105th min- 'And it's hemp for the corner, its headed towards the box, Bronze getting her head on it, its rebound AND ITS CHLOE KELLEY WITH THE TAP IN what a goal'

107th min- 'And its Magull with the ball shes running with it she passes it to Schuller and its in, barely making it into the corner of the goal Mary Earps just a second to late'

118th min- 'And it's a goal kick for England, Earps to Williamson, a long ball from Williamson to Rosie, she's going for it straight up the middle of the pitch completely dismissing Hendrich as she reaches the penalty area its just her and the goalkeeper, she shoots AND ITS IN! What a goal from the birthday girl the subs bench going crazy along with the players on the pitch'