Chapter 14

"If that's true, I fear the worst has happened," the voice of Lord Aubron whispered outside the sanctuary door. The king was not to be disturbed at the altar of his brother. Ivaran sat in the small room, a three-foot statue sat upon the table in the likeness of the late prince. Beside it sat a bowl with various hawk feathers left in it. The scent of cinnamon filled the air, Cyran's favorite. The incense burned, causing smoke to fill the small room.

He shut out the voices beyond the door. Lord Aubron was waiting to deliver some news. It didn't sound like anything he wanted to hear now. All he wished to hear was the voice of his brother in the other world. "Why won't you speak to me?" Ivaran whispered, with his head buried in his hands. A hawk had haunted his dreams since the night Inias killed Vayne. It stalked him through the castle and into the woods. Cyran must have been reaching out to him, but now that he was ready to listen, he wouldn't answer.

"We shared the same dream once before," Ivaran spoke as he turned to look upon the statue illuminated by three candles. "To cleanse this land of that hellion breed. To undo the sins of our ancestors." It was Inias. His mother had died to give him life. Cyran vowed he would honor his wife's last act in this world, to ensure her son would live. That boy had drawn a line between the two. Inias had taken him, stolen his brother, twisted him. Malice surrounded him. He brought nothing but chaos to the realm. So blinded by the memory of his wife to the demon growing within his son.

Aubron had always seen something in Inias, something beyond the darkness. Ivaran had once wanted to believe in the boy when he'd witnessed his prowess at the summer tournament. That fiery determination in his nephew's eyes mirrored his father. Now he feared what Inias may be capable of with the power and authority of the crown. He couldn't allow the kingdom to be plunged into chaos. "Brother...you know what I must do. You must see it now." Ivaran pleaded to an empty room, "He will bring nothing but ruin."

A knock came at the door, and Ivaran growled in response. "Um...your majesty, forgive me, I know you wish not to be disturbed, but I have urgent news," Aubron's voice spoke from the other side of the door. There was a pause, and Ivaran grew impatient. "Well, tell me already!" Ivaran swung the door open to the hall, stunning Aubron.

The Lord looked to the statue of Prince Cyran and bowed, "My Prince," He spoke in deep reverence. "Your majesty, our scouts have reported a redcap troop stormed Ravenmoon Manor. They said maenads were there as well, Inias was spotted among the defenders. They believe he's fallen." He spoke as quickly as he could, his head kept low before his king. "Has this new elated you?"

Redcaps and maenads? Why would redcaps attack a stronghold like the Ravenmoon estate? What were they doing so far from their territory? The king rubbed his head with a groan, "Not in the slightest," He mumbled, looking towards his loyal hand. The poison, the redcaps, Keira's mysterious disappearance. None of it was adding up. "Any developments in your personal investigation?" He asked, motioning for Aubron to rise.

"The poison you mean?" Aubron asked as he lifted his chestnut brown eyes to meet the king's icy silver hues. "I've discovered it's not poison, but venom. Since when was Inias capable of that? His talon's perhaps? Fangs?" He rubbed at his bushy brown beard and let his other hand rest on his rather enormous stomach. "I don't recall any marks on his body besides the fox bite and some bruising."

Ivaran shook his head. The fox bite hadn't been venomous, Rurik hadn't died when he was bitten. "He isn't." He answered Aubron, stroking his own beard in thought. If Inias hadn't killed the Rouan boy, then who had? It had only been those three in the room. Was Inias petty enough to drag him into a closet to kill him? He'd want it seen. If it was about the fight in the yard, he would've done it right in front of Sylvis to make his point.

"If Inias didn't kill him, who did?" Aubron echoed his thoughts too clearly. Whoever had done it may still lurk in these halls. Ivaran growled, not at Aubron, at the frustrating situation in front of them. Until he saw the body, Ivaran wouldn't be convinced Inias was dead. "Lord Aubron, I hope you don't take my short temper as a reflection of your service," Ivaran finally said, turning to Aubron with concern in his eyes. "I try not to, your majesty," Aubron answered with a smile towards the king.

"I didn't heed your council once," He admitted, rubbing his hands together, "And I lost my wife for it. Swore I'd never make that mistake again. I ask you, what must I do? I can't achieve my vision and honor my brother's last act in this world." His voice was soft, it was only Aubron. He'd confided everything to him. Ivaran was both grateful and irritated by the man's gentle wisdom.

Aubron stepped forward and rested a gentle hand on Ivaran's shoulder. "I wasn't there to see it, but I will tell you what I believe his final thoughts to be, your majesty." He looked at the statue with a smile, then at his king. "If I let him die here, how will I ever face her again?"

"You're saying...I should spare him? If he lives," The candles upon the altar flared bright and settled, stunning the two. "Will you be able to face Cyran if you don't?" Ivaran wasn't sure, conflicted by what his brother truly wished for. To see their golden age, cleansed of darkness, or to see his son live a long life. "Whatever the future holds, I want to see my brother on the other side."

"Then what of Inias?" Aubron asked, heaving a sigh of relief as he helped lift the king from his chair. He brought the king's jeweled can to his hand so he could support himself as he left the altar room. "I want all scouts on alert for them. They're not to engage, only watch and report back. Call off Sylvis. Send aid to the Ravenmoon Manor with my utmost apologies to Lord Varen." It wasn't so much a change of heart. There was another enemy lurking in the shadows, and they couldn't face it with their clans at war.

"And Lord Caelan? Shall we call him off as well?" Aubron followed slowly beside his king as they made their way down the hall together. "Caelan..." the king said, humming to himself. The one person who may know more was Lord Rouan. He had agreed to assault Ravenmoon Manor and with this sudden redcap attack. Sylvis was to cut off their route to Stonefog, Caelan wanted to strike Ravenmoon manor. Their next likely destination would've been the safety of the manor.

Ivaran shook his head and stopped before his bedroom doors. "No...let him chase the boy," He answered with a sly grin spreading across his face. "Can you have someone infiltrate their party?" The king asked. Inias was alive. If he was half the warrior his father was, then he'd at least survive by the skin of his teeth. If he wasn't, then he was at least ten times the monster those redcaps were, or the maenads, for that matter. With that clever fox and Keira by his side, they were a formidable trio. Especially after they'd overwhelmed Sylvis with that god like spear of his.

Aubron opened the bedroom doors for the king and bowed, "I hope it won't upset you to know," He began raising his eyes to meet Ivaran's, "I've already acted on that. Just to be certain."

Ivaran threw him a rare, but sincere smile before he turned to limp over to his bed across from the roaring blue flames of the fireplace, casting an azure light over the room. "Not in the slightest. I'll leave it to you then. I need rest. Thank you and goodnight." The door was slammed in Aubron's face before he could return the king's wishes.