Chapter 21

Once again, he found himself caught between his friends and a swarm of redcaps. Despite the forest's silence, he was aware of their deadly swiftness. Observing his environment, his eyes emitted a deep crimson glow. He couldn't smell anything, not even the fragrant pine that once perfumed the forest. No longer bound by the shackles, he could now inspect his belt. He used up his last purple crystal on the tent's barrier, leaving him with only his sword, powder, and a selection of throwing knives positioned on his thigh and belt for quick access.

Standing up, he tried to connect with Styx through his thoughts, but the Fox remained silent, out of his reach. Once those arrows began flying, he would need the fox. He hoped that Naesala and Keira could endure. Styx would make it to him. He had to. He was the fastest among them and would overwhelm a troop of redcaps. If any of them could make it, it would be him. Believing it was something Inias had to do. They had created a bond between them. Inias would survive for Styx, so he wouldn't be forced to go on alone.

As he made his way across the forest floor, he felt something gently touch his ribs underneath his coat. He paused and retrieved the concealed knife. Upon seeing the golden hawk etched on its handle, he let out a sigh. "Father, give me the strength I need." Inias slipped it back into his pocket and glanced up at the trees. He caught the shine of something shining between the branches and pinned his gaze on it. Those humans were craving a show, and he would give it to them. He was Inias Nightfang, heir to Ivaran, son of Cyran. With the blood of conquerors and mighty heroes running through him, he held the power to liberate his friends. Then, with his father's knife, he'd carve out Caelan's heart.

The moonlight filtered through the dense canopy, illuminating the forest floor. Inias waved his hand, causing the shadows to dance and swirl around him, wrapping him in their embrace. With finesse, he cloaked himself in darkness, perfectly blending into the night. With the full moon above and everything around him full of life, there was more power for him to draw on. In bleak winter forests or during daylight, he depended entirely on his own magical reserves and wits to survive.

Inias started jogging, sticking to the shadows of the forest as he looked around. He didn't have long before the redcaps picked up on his trail. The moon above gave him a good sense of his place in the forest. Now further west, it showed his position to be somewhere east of the tent. They wouldn't leave redcaps in the north of the forest. It was dangerously close to the human world. That meant they would come from the south, east, and west. Since he hadn't sensed their presence, it's likely he came out somewhere in the north.

The sound of a growl caught his attention and made him stop. Tied to a tree was the maenad he'd seen on that box in the tent. "H-hey," Inias approached with a knife as the woman thrashed against her binds. He didn't know if she could speak. The maenads gave off an impression of being feral. As he knelt, he carefully cut the enchanted ropes that held her, and she appeared to calm down. "You're strong, right? I need you to head south. My friend is there. He has a big spear, can't miss him." She blinked and tilted her head as if processing what he'd said, then nodded and tugged at the rope. He released her and watched her sprint ahead.

With her in the lead, he could search for Styx. Keira would be on the lookout for Vestin, Naesala would be out looking for any of them, and gods willing, Sylvis would discover them in time. As the deafening cries of the redcaps reached him, Inias started running. As the shadows enveloped him, he extended his claws. Beyond the black mist, he noticed a bolt of darkness bouncing among the trees and smiled. "Styx!" Crying out, he watched as the fox crashed to the ground on his side. A redcap held a spiked club high above him. As he brought it down, Inias caught it in his hand, causing the redcap to shriek in surprise. Inias threw the club and shoved his hand straight through the goblin's chest. The creature fell limp as Styx pulled himself up. Inias smiled and hugged the fox tightly, saying, "You're alright... thank the gods..."