Chapter 19

A large collective operating in the woods would need thorough protection. Concealing such abundant magic was no easy feat, and some would leak out. Sylvis had suggested Inias go deeper into the forest with Styx to scout the woods. With their senses connected, the two could traverse more territory. When he closed his eyes, he could see through Styx's, so long as they were close enough to hear one another. They always stayed close, never more than a mile apart, their calls echoing through the forest. Inias mimicked the fox's howl to conceal his presence.

Inias found it impossible to resist the refreshing feeling of an early summer morning, an experience that he had missed. Winter was bearable with a fire and a cozy bed, but trudging through snow wore him out. It made him long for warmer days and the welcoming scent of a summer breeze through the trees. He wished he'd known about that when they'd escorted the witches. They had met them at a safe house beyond the forest, fearing they'd slip into the human world, unable to return.

Sylvis, Keira, and Naesa were at the camp preparing a trap for Caelan. Inias was sure he just wanted the greater prize for himself. Display the traitor's head to the king. Despite his own suspicions, Inias had to admit that the plan was solid. He and Styx made the ideal scouting pair, and the success of their mission depended on Devilsbane overwhelming Caelan. While Inias had spent years boasting and strutting, his peers had been training and refining their skills, a truth that now weighed on his mind. He'd have to worry about Sylvis' ambitions for his throne after they rescued Vestin and Ashryn from those Crescents.

A stick snapped, causing him to turn. He saw a small goblin with an arrow aimed at him. Inias ducked behind a tree and drew his claws as he closed the distance between him and the lone redcap. A strangled cry echoed through the forest as Inias curled his fingers around its throat and slammed it up against a tree. Inias let out a fox's howl to recall Styx and returned to the gasping goblin. He sniffed the cap upon its head, scenting Tremaine's blood.

"They're here, aren't they?" Inias demanded, throttling him hard against the tree. The redcap couldn't answer, but it wasn't an answer he was looking for as he stuffed his hand into every pocket of the redcap's little tunic and trousers, eventually grasping a small piece of paper in its jacket pocket. It looked like nothing more than an invitation card. No different from the ones he'd receive for parties or a local theater play. The printed words were unreadable, but the card showed a circus tent with knotted runes on the edges. He'd have to ask Naesa when he brought it back to camp, but for now, he had the goblin to finish as Styx rushed over the undergrowth to meet them.

"All I need now is your head," Inias growled, curling his fingers. This redcap had killed Tremaine, and it was his duty to burn it as an offering. His claws tore through its gray flesh as it kicked and squirmed with strangled cries. With a twist of his wrist, Inias ripped his hand away, knuckles scraping the rough bark. The redcap's body fell limp onto the floor with its head away. Styx approached the body and sniffed it with a lick of his lips. "Ew! No!" Inias kicked the body away and leaned down to retrieve the head. Styx groaned but followed behind Inias as they began their trip back to camp.

Bursting through the forest, they raced at blinding speeds, each eager to be the first to return. They burst into the camp to a startled Keira who threw a knife towards Inias' head. He slipped as he ducked, falling into the dirt, but thankfully the knife missed him and found it's him in a thick tree trunk.

"Hey!" Inias grabbed the knife and chucked it down at her feet. Keira sniffed towards the head in Inias' hand and covered her nose. "Did you have to bring that?" She asked and stuffed the knife back into her belt. "He was at firefly bridge," Inias explained as he stepped towards the fire. He closed his eyes and said a silent prayer before dropping the severed head into the flames.

"Did you find them?" Sylvis asked, as he and Naesa returned from a chat. Inias shook his head and handed Naesa the card he'd found. "Does this mean anything?" He asked as Naesa ran her white painted finger over the runes lining the card. She seemed to mouth the words and paced between Inias and Sylvis. "A key spell!" She finally answered, "This will let us pass their warding. Once the moon reaches its peak, the spell triggers and reveals a path. I heard them talking about it one night. He was carrying this?"

"Redcaps make decent scouts; their scent is hard to trace." Sylvis pulled his spear out from the ground to lift the wards around their camp. "When have you ever faced a redcap?" Inias challenged him if Sylvis wasn't taunting him in the training yard. He never paid much attention to him. If he had, maybe he would have caught his royal ambitions sooner. "Unlike you, I don't flaunt all my victories." Sylvis fired back, pointing his spear at Inias' chest.

Inias positioned his hand firmly on his sword. "Few to flaunt," He said, taking a step back from the pointed spear. "I'm not sure we need you given your recent track record, hellion." Sylvis took a step forward, keeping that spear pointed as Inias drew his sword slowly. His eyes met Sylvis' emerald gaze, shining with intensity. Inias flared his eyes right back as Styx elicited a warning growl towards Sylvis. Keira drew her daggers and moved to stand by Inias while Naesala remained close to Sylvis.

"I'm the reason they're here!" Inias pointed his sword back, ready to draw up his shield in the event of a lightning blast. "As their prince, it's my responsibility to bring them back home."

Naesala positioned herself next to Sylvis and unsheathed her daggers. Keira aimed one of her daggers directly at Naesala. "Yes, you're the reason they're here." Naesala repeated, "You're the reason Lord Varen was left defenseless during a deadly battle. Each move you make puts more lives at risk. All we ask is that you to stay out of the way."

"And if he hadn't, we would've lost more knights," Keira reminded her, stepping around to place herself between Naesala and Inias. "And you'd be a pile of ash." She shot her onyx eyes at Sylvis and pointed her other dagger straight for him.

Inias couldn't shake off the lingering doubt as he contemplated stepping back. Another mistake, like the bridge, would cost them all. "You two can't take Caelan alone," He warned them, looking between Naesala and Sylvis. There were two battles to face. They still didn't know what to expect from the Crescents, and Caelan wouldn't go down easily.

"We can't either." He slid his sword away and raised his hands as he moved back. Sylvis contemplated and gradually brought down his spear. "I'll follow your lead and do as you say." Inias surrendered. It was Sylvis who had developed a plan that helped them find the Crescents. His warding protected them in the night, and he had turned on Caelan to protect them.

"Can you stomach that, hellion?" Sylvis asked, and slowly brought his spear to stand beside him. "I'll do my best!" Inias said, beaming a smile to ease the tension in the air. Naesala and Keira stored their daggers and Styx calmed beside Inias. "What's the plan, commander?"