Chapter 23

The silence that ensued was overwhelming, except for the sound of flames crackling and Inias and his friends panting as they recovered their breath. Sylvis hoisted himself up and headed towards Caelan while Styx rushed to Inias. The flames encircled them, preventing Sylvis from taking the head as the body ignited. They watched as the severed head burned, grinning at them. Neither of them could claim their prize, as it was already too late.

Caelan's last laugh, Inias thought as he watched the grinning face burn to an ash pile at Sylvis' feet. It must have been clear to Caelan that his fate was to perish here. Even if he survived, how long could he run before one of them found him? The man burned, killed for his betrayal and those Crescents were at the mercy of Bacchus and his maenads.

Inias and Naesala realized they had to act fast with the flames spreading. "We need to contain the fire!" Naesala shouted over the roar of the flames. The spread was too rapid to control, causing Inias to shake his head. "It's too late," he said. Even after Caelan's demise, the flames still burned, fueled by the same magic that had summoned them. The fires had destroyed the wards, awakening the smell of smoke and blood in their surroundings.

Sylvis ran when a tree toppled over the other three. Styx ran as Inias shoved Naesala aside. Stepping aside, he swung his sword and sliced through the solid trunk, while Sylvis descended from above to deliver another blow. The tree fell into three pieces, evading them all. Naesala tugged on Sylvis and Inias wrists. "You two can show off later," she told them and pointed to the gathering specks of light lining a path out of the flames. They raced through the blazing forest, the air thick with smoke and the sound of crackling flames pursuing the flickering lights in hopes of safety.

Inias and Sylvis took the lead, clearing the path of obstacles, with Naesala and Styx following behind. Trees had fallen and branches were crashing all around them. They couldn't run fast enough to escape the flames. The magic within those lights was fading as the fire spread beyond them. One by one, the lights were disappearing, making the path ahead darker. "We have to hurry!" Naesala cried from behind them, pointing to a pillar of flames, rising, and swirling into the form of a serpentine dragon.

"Caelan's parting gift." Sylvis muttered, turning his spear towards the figure as it weaved through the trees towards them like a flying snake. Naesala discharged her pistol, but the shot passed through the flames and extinguished. A sudden burst of red lightning repelled the dragon, but it changed direction and headed straight for Inias. Running towards the dragon, he slid beneath its fiery form and thrust his sword up. As the flames were sliced through, the dark aura surrounding the diamond edge shimmered. The dragon's screech echoed as the shadows from Inias' blade overcame the flames.

Engulfing everything in their path, the dispersed flames of the creature spread. As a strong wind blew, the fire spread and encircled them. As the wall of flames closed in, Inias stood up, with no escape in sight. Redcaps emerged from the fiery walls and launched an assault on them. Inias extended his sword, striking one on the neck. With a swing of his spear, Sylvis, six of them flying back into the fire.

Naesala's fired pistol shots hit one goblin in the face. She threw her dagger towards a redcap that had jumped onto Sylvis' back. The creature sliced off the head of its target before returning to her hand, ready for her to stab the approaching goblin. Dropping her pistol, she pulled out her other dagger and charged towards Inias with Styx. Sylvis sent waves of lightning towards the swarms with each swing of his spear. The walls were the only safe spot, as goblins poured out in masses to escape the fire. Back-to-back, Naesala and Inias kept each other protected. Styx was wrestling one into the ground, tearing into its throat. Styx was wrestling one into the ground, tearing into its throat.

A rising blue light pushed the flames back. A pair of luminous blue walls materialized between Keira and Vestin. Between the siblings, a third person stood as they hurried to reach them. "Ashryn!" Inias beamed and ran ahead of Sylvis, between the protective barriers. "My prince!" While the rest moved towards the azure walls and away from the fire, she hugged Inias. She thanked him, then allowed Inias to be embraced by Keira.

"Lord Aubron's waiting," she told them as Vestin, with outstretched arms, kept the walls up. "Can we save the hugging for later, please?" He hollered as redcaps were trying to escape into the barrier. Sylvis launched a powerful attack with his spear, propelling the goblins backwards as the blue barrier enclosed them.

"Aubron!" Keira cried out. Behind them, a cloud of brown smoke billowed and transformed into the form of a chubby, bearded man. "About time. This entire forest is lost." Aubron spoke, coughing as he waved the smoke away. "How did you get here?" Inias asked as he stuffed his sword away. "The same way we're headed home, my prince." Aubron lifted a reddish-brown flat stone from his pocket and smiled. "A portal stone, his majesty permitted it." It fell to the ground, opening a dark hole that sprung tentacles at them.

Keira let out a scream as a tendril pulled her into the dark portal. "Don't be alarmed!" Aubron reassured, as a tendril pulled Sylvis, who was whimpering, into it. Eventually, they all gave in and let the portal pull them inside.

Prince Of Blood And ShadowOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara