Chapter 18

Naesala, positioned between a prince and a lady, had the duty of taking the first watch as a knight while the rest slept. She had serenaded them with a soothing lullaby from her flute, the gentle melodies echoing through the still night. Inias had sparked the fire to life using a crimson crystal he had gained in the bustling market village. Its ethereal glow illuminated the crystal below the flame, creating a mesmerizing sight in the clearing. She was glad for the warmth, relieved to be away from the snow.

Winter was a mere legend in the heart of Bloodbone Bay, where she grew up. However, when she was only thirteen, her father faced a heart-wrenching decision and sold her to provide for her older brother. Because of a cruel twist of fate, she became a victim of the Crescent, who exploited her in their freak show exhibitions. The Crescent shamelessly paraded her before leering human spectators, reducing her to a mere spectacle in their zoo. They collared her like a wild animal and compelled her to showcase magical abilities to the applauding spectators.

During a spring night in Midvale Grove, Lords Varen and Aubron discovered her. They were coming back from a battle with a goblin army that had been causing trouble at the borders for months. Discovering the circus and with a sizeable army at their back, they overcame the syndicate and freed her, along with seven other captives. People believed they had disbanded, but they proved to be as relentless as ants. The Crescents would reform and reappear in another place. Once again, she was in the middle of that circus. This time, she wasn't on display as a captive. She came to assist her lady and prince, aiming to expose the Crescents to the king so he could aid those still trapped.

The sound of footsteps interrupted her thoughts on the forest floor. From the shadows, a man with a pair of green eyes watched her, gripping something in his hand. She sprang to her feet, daggers in her hands. "Lord Sylvis," Naesala hesitated, not sure whether he came as a friend or foe. It wasn't long ago that he was willing to end Inias and Keira's lives. "How'd you find us?"

"Inias forgets to mask his spellwork," Sylvis explained as Naesa lifted his daggers. He lowered himself to place his spear on the ground and raise his hands. "After Caelan broke through my lightning, a maenad attacked him, and I fled."

"Where's Caelan now?" Inias stirred from behind the fire, shifting to sit up. On the opposite side, Keira let out a groan and rubbed her eyes, directing her gaze towards Sylvis. "On his way here, most likely. Aubron sent a message by raven, instructing me to follow you here." He looked at Keira and passed her the parchment. "Says your brother's alive."

"We already know that!" Keira threw the small parchment into the fire, and watched as it burned up. "You're a few chapters behind, Sylvie." Inias pulled a small cube of cheese from the satchel beside him and tossed it into his mouth. "Do you know what Caelan's planning? Why he's working with redcaps, or why Vayne took Keira?" He asked taking a seat by the fire with them.

"The Crescent," Naesa answered, tucking her blades back into her belt. "If I had to guess they sold her brother and Lady Ashryn to the syndicate. Now he's trying to cover it up by eliminating us."

"If we find this Crescent he's bound to show up," Sylvis said nodding. It wasn't a terrible plan, if they managed to catch Caelan, they could overwhelm him together. He wouldn't stand his ground for long against all five of them.

Naesa's gaze was fixed on the elegant spear lying on the ground. She slowly moved towards the ruby red blade, running her fingers over it. "Devilsbane," She read the runes carved into the pole, staring at it with wide eyes. "I've read stories. So, it's true the blade fires lightning." There were many famed weapons across the Vale, but few were as revered or celebrated as Devilsbane. Onas forged it as a wedding gift for his mightiest general, and soon to be son in law, who repaid his king's generosity by using it destroy the elves settled in what would later become the magnificent city of Knivae.

Sylvis flashed her a charming smile and answered, "Sure does, knocked these three on their ass," She seemed to study his face the way he'd watched her in the market. Of course, she was looking at him. He was like an angel angel, all he needed was a pair of wings. Inias buried that sting of jealousy and laid back down, "Since you're here you get to take the next watch Sylvie."

"I've been trekking for all night."

"And now you get to sit a while! Rest those strong legs." Inias rested his head against Styx's tail who still slept by the fire. "And you attacked us." Keira reminded him as she too laid down, resting her head against her satchel. "And I'm exhausted," Naesala rested back against one of the pine trees and closed her eyes. "Oh!" Inias sat up and pointed out towards the forest. "Try not to walk over there, buried a crystal that will explode if you step on it." He tapped his chin and glanced around, "Or was it over there? Be careful where you walk, my friend, it's around here somewhere."

"I'm thankful for the warning, my prince," Sylvis ground through his teeth, kicking dirt at the now sleeping Inias.