Chapter 20

If they could rely on Naesala's memory of the tent layout, they had a workable plan. Inias and Styx would use the ticket to slip past the wards and bring them down. While Keira and Naesala attacked the circus, Inias would free all the captives. Sylvis planned to wait in the forest, intending to capture Caelan and keep him occupied until the others returned. Caelan didn't have the chance to slip ahead of them. Sylvis left him wounded, and Naesala said there was a large pool of blood outside the estate's bounds.

The ideal spot for it would be the expansive clearing at the forest's northern tip. He waited on the branch for the moon to reach its peak. The soft moonlight bathing the grassy clearing was easier on his eyes. Inias wrapped his coat tighter as a chilly breeze crept through the forest. The moon would soon reach its peak, and he sensed something shift in the surrounding air.

Inias wanted to claim Caelan's head. He was behind that attack on the bridge. His father was dead, and his friends were suffering in cages. Thoughts of vengeance swirled, and he had to force them down. He couldn't risk losing his friends to avenge his father. If Sylvis was the one to burn it as an offering, then so be it. His uncle had at least another century, plenty of time to manage Sylvis. For now, he would bring their people home and cleanse his name.

Inias rested with one leg draped over the branch while contemplating his next move, as Styx stood watch in front of him, both focused on the clearing ahead. Shapes became visible as they stepped out from the line of trees. Inias sniffed the air to confirm it and nodded. "Humans. It's starting." He leaned forward and wrapped an arm around Styx. "You ready for this?" Styx gave him an eager nod and Inias slid off the branch, falling towards the ground below.

"Prepare yourselves!" Inias could hear a voice echoing from the center of the clearing as more figures emerged from the forest. Slowly making his way out of the forest, he noticed the card's rune work glowed, and something shimmered in the air. "For the haunting wonders that lie within!" A vibrant dome tent emerged from the ground as the veil faded. The moonlight directly above dimly illuminated the red and white stripes. It covered the entire cleaning and at the tip sat a flag with a red crescent stitched upon it. "From out of the foreboding mists of Harrows Forest, we've discovered something truly terrifying. And for you skeptics in the crowd, prepare to become believers as we deliver proof that gods do indeed exist!"

He slipped around the tree line merely ten feet from the tent flaps. Once he was within the wards, he slid three purple crystals from his belt and threw them at the invisible wall, keeping the tent hidden. It came down like shattering glass, causing a commotion from the line into the tent. Keira and Naesala wouldn't wait long to tear through that crowd of humans. The screams grew louder, and the scent of blood permeated the air. They would make an example of those who took pleasure in humiliating their people.

In the chaos, Inias lifted the tent flap and slipped in to find many cages lined up on the ground behind a large velvet curtain. The room was silent and even as he called out, there was no answer. He drew his sword and Styx sniffed around the dimly lit room. The cages were empty. Styx shook his head with a whimper after sniffing every corner for some clue. Outside, several pops caught his attention, and the screaming ceased.

Inias tore through the velvet curtain, only to be grabbed by his hair and forced to the ground. Someone grabbed Styx by the hair and forced him to the ground beside Inias.

"Inias! Just in time for the show!" Upon hearing Caelan's voice, he lifted his head and struggled to break free. While the crowd roared, someone managed to put iron shackles on him and Styx. The fox struggled and squirmed, trying to bite the hands of its captor as they dragged them apart. With each tug, Inias grew weaker as his strength was drained away. "Traitor!" Inias spat on the floor at Caelan's feet.

"To whom, my prince?" While answering, Caelan wiped the floor with his boot to remove the dirt. A sharp point pressed against Inias' chin, making him meet Caelan's piercing sapphire gaze. In his hand, he grasped the staff. He could turn Inias into an ash pile for his collection at any moment. "I'm loyal first to my family. The Crescent ensures we remain rich. A few lost souls are a small price to pay to ensure our power." He explained himself, yanking the staff away with a cut across Inias' chin. Inias growled and thrashed, falling to the floor as the shackles weakened him. Styx yelped across the room and howled as his own binds did the same.

They lifted Inias to his knees, facing the crowd. They all sat in slim metal white chairs and a sickening mix of perfumes and colognes had taken over the air. Keira and Naesala were being dragged across the grass between the rows of seats. They had bloody holes in their back, too large to be arrow wounds. Inias had heard the humans had a weapon that could fire projectiles from long distances. Ivaran's strict policies had always kept them out of the Hallow. Inias felt some relief as the two girls squirmed while they were being dragged onto the stage.

"As we promised folks, our Last Show Spectacular!" That promoter's voice boomed so loudly across the tent it pained his ears. The promoter wore a long coat of red and black stripes with a tall hat on his head. He kept his back to Inias as he strutted across the stage. "Last?!" Inias ground out as they brought Naesala and Keira to kneel beside him on display for the crowd. The cheering was almost worse than the promoter's sickening voice. "Yes, we've been caught," He heard Caelan say softly beside him. "It's time to regroup, rebrand, and move on."

"An epic battle of survival awaits us tonight!" The hatted man continued, motioning to a long slim black box coming down from the tent ceiling. It was thin, but nearly as long as the stage itself. Naesala and Keira turned to see it as well. Behind them kneeled two men, working some healing spell upon their wounds. Small metal pieces fell from their backs, and they lifted their heads towards the surrounding room in horror. From the other end of the room, they were bringing in clothed figures stuffed with hay. Many had been torn into with knives. "An illusion," Keira whispered beside him. "They cast an illusion."

The screen flickered and revealed the image of a forest, Willowberry Forest. Inias recognized the tall pine trees. Sitting at the bottom of one sat a figure with dark blue hair and fair skin. "Vestin!" Keira cried out, pulling against her chains, only to slump back onto the floor with a whimper. "Not again..." Naesala groaned and closed her eyes tight to avoid the staring crowd. She had been here before, on that very stage. Inias could see the way she avoided the crowd's eyes, the same way his own would snap shut when thinking back to the bridge.

"In this very forest we've released a horde of little goblins you may know as redcaps!" The crowd gasped and cheered so eagerly at the bound figures depicted on the screen. The screen then changed and Inias found a maenad with her wild tussled hair and ivy leaf dress. "These four heroes have journeyed from afar to rescue their captive comrades, so let us give them the opportunity, folks!"

Four? Had they not found Sylvis? Or did they simply not know? "What did you do with Sylvis?" Inias jerked his head up to Caelan, who merely turned an eye on him. "Nothing," He answered in a soft tone, "After he escaped, I received a letter to Aubron informing me he had been called home and to keep up the hunt for you." He didn't know, but why would Aubron lie to Caelan?

 "Once our heroes are transported, we will lift our shields and set the redcaps loose. Can these four face the redcap hordes and rescue their comrades? Find out in five, four, three, two, one!" Black smoke swirled around the stage, reaching up towards the ceiling. As the smoke dispersed, the crowd was amazed to find the captives gone.