Chapter 17

Inias perched on the snowy hill just outside the village, waiting for the return of Keira and Naesala, who had ventured into the village to purchase horses. Inias and Keira felt tired just thinking about the long journey north on foot. They had traveled so far already on foot. Inias had set two fine horses free the night he rescued Keira, a fact she pointedly reminded him of when he grumbled about the high prices in the village. Keira and Naesala were busy bargaining for the horses while Inias remained watchful of the village gates, ready for any unwanted guests.

Nuzzling against Inias' leg, Styx lay beside him. Inias would not have survived the past few days if it weren't for him. While his father's familiar had some extraordinary skills, none could rival those of Styx. Even the most gifted warriors couldn't match the fox's speed. His master must have been equally impressive. As capable as he was, Inias didn't feel right dragging him into the coming battle. Three times in the last few days, their lives were almost lost.

Today, he appeared different from his usual playful self. Inias tried throwing snowballs, but he didn't chase after them. He especially didn't appreciate the one Inias threw at him directly. He groaned and whimpered in response. As Inias looked out over the snow-covered meadow beyond the village, he couldn't help but notice the familiar line of towering pine trees. They brought an unsettling word to mind, "Useless."

"Your old master, he abandoned you, didn't he?" Inias asked as he stroked Styx's sleek fur. With a glance at Inias, he nodded towards the meadow. Inias gently caressed Styx's ears as the fox nestled on his lap. Styx rested his head between his paws as Inias playfully tousled his fur. "Keira wouldn't be alive if it hadn't been for you," Inias reminded him. "Vayne would've killed me in that storage room. I don't think you're useless."

Inias surprised Styx when he revealed he knew about that. He cradled Styx's face and placed a kiss between his eyes. "You can go if you're scared," he said, looking into his small amber eyes. "We'll be okay, the three of us. I'm sure Sylvis will pop up soon, too. Think he's on our side now." Inias tried to reassure him, half hoping he'd find safety somewhere away from the fight.

Even though he said otherwise, Inias was unsure if he could survive the next battle without Styx. In the recent days, his limitations were becoming clear. Sylvis would have killed them if Varen didn't appear. Despite Vayne's trap, Styx was the one who defeated him. Had Sylvis not betrayed Caelan, they would be in the Rouan's trophy room, preserved in elegant urns. Bacchus had sent his maenads and cleared the way for them to escape. Luck had saved him every time, even with Keira and Styx beside him. But, by freeing Vestin and Ashryn, he could face his father in the other world. That was enough for him.

Styx was uncertain of what to do as he glanced from the meadow where his master had left him to Inias. "I'll come back for you, promise!" Inias tried to display a confident smile, but Styx seemed to see through it. Styx didn't want another friend to leave. When a familiar lost his companion, it left a deep scar. He was a tool to his last master, not a friend. No soft strokes, no snowy fun. Inias wasn't his master. He was a friend, one who had faced death to protect him.

"But if you come with us, I want to take you as my familiar." They fought so naturally together, he brought out Inias' strength and had been a protective shield in every encounter. Styx stood from Inias lap and lifted his paw with a nod. Inias grasped his paw with a grin as he brought his other wrist to his lips. "Alright partner, let's make this official." He bit into his wrist, fangs piercing the skin. Blood dropped over the snow as he extended it to Styx. The fox leaned in to lick the blood dripping from his wrist before the wound could close.

A flash of light emerged from his neck, shrinking into the visage of a fox. As Inias gripped his neck tightly, the marking burned into it, causing him to cry out. Styx shut his eyes and whimpered, shaking his head. As the pain faded, a fox marking was present on his neck. Styx finally opened his eyes to reveal the same blood color as Inias. Their magic seemed to mix as the bond formed. It felt as if something were shoveling coals into the fires of his magic. Styx, too, sensed it, raising his eyes and unleashing a powerful howl. The trees behind them swayed as if blown by a mighty wind.

Keira and Naesala returned with wide eyes, leading three horses as the wind calmed. "You claimed him?" Naesala asked while they both stood. Inias nodded with a smile and pulled his hair back to reveal the fox marking on his neck. Styx flashed his red eyes at them, beaming a smile of his own. Keira's shock twisted into a smile as she looked between the two of them. "Great, now we have two troublemakers. Hope you know what you're getting into with him, Styx."

Following behind Inias, the fox grinned and barked while Inias mounted the snow-white horse given to him. "In the human realm, it's summer," Naesala commented while mounting her own horse. Inias' lap became Styx's new spot as they hopped in and settled between the reins. "Why does that matter?" Inias asked as he turned towards the north, with the sun setting to his left. "Willowberry forest is the dividing line between our worlds,"

"She means we can camp comfortably tonight." Keira flicked the reins and galloped off, her hair blowing freely in the wind. Inias and Naesa swiftly followed, making a beeline for the pine forests ahead.