Chapter 25

"Fawning over your hair, boy?" Ivaran asked with a chuckle as Inias entered the throne room, bowing beside Sylvis. Bowing his head before the king, Styx received a smile in return from his majesty. Aubron hurriedly moved past them and positioned himself beside the king. "They've had a long trip," he reminded the king, who nodded and motioned for the three to rise. Sylvis stood with his hands behind his back as Inias looked at him. In the sunlight, his green eyes appeared to glisten. "Thank you," Inias told him as they approached the dais. "If you hadn't turned on Caelan, we'd all be dead."

 Sylvis nodded and bumped Inias' shoulder with his before turning his attention to the king. Upon the king's gesture, the two knelt with bowed heads. "You both appear rested and in good health," the king began. Although his words were kind, they still had a cold undertone. "I'm happy to see it. Rise and hear the words of your king." The boys rose to their feet with their eyes pinned on the king's elegant black leather boots.

 Ivaran looked between the two, lowering his hand into their view, instructing them to raise their eyes to him. His icy gaze bore into them both. Even Sylvis seemed to shrink from it, taking a step back. The king turned his gaze from Sylvis to Inias, then to Styx, who whimpered and looked away. "The high council has agreed that you are not to be held responsible for your father's death," Ivaran stood and walked over to them with his cane to keep him steady. "What remains of the Rouan and Thorne clans will be hunted down and questioned. We have much to learn about these Crescents."

 Inias felt the urge to shiver as his uncle approached him, resting a hand on his shoulder. It was chilling and unsettling, causing his body hair to stand on end. "You've avenged your father, rescued our people, and exposed an enemy hiding in the shadows. Well done, my nephew." The hand squeezed him before the king turned back towards his throne.

"Styx slew Caelan," Inias gestured to the fox who barked beside him, "Sylvis, Keira, and Naesala-wait...what happened to them?"

"Lord Varen has taken them to the estate," Aubron explained as Ivaran rested against the throne. "He was eager to return home. Lady Redwood is still resting." Inias wanted to say goodbye to them but given the king's orders to have them killed, he knew why they couldn't stay. The thought of sharing a roof with the man who had recently tried to have him killed was unsettling to him. There was no lavish manor for him to escape to.

"I wanted to see Keira one last time," Inias pleaded to his uncle. "You may call on her if you like," His uncle nodded, "I won't force you two apart, but there is no longer a friendship between Varen and I." No friendship, but did that make them enemies? He wouldn't let that come between them and make Keira his enemy. Apart from Styx, she was his most cherished friend. The sole person who supported him throughout all his antics.

To bring Inias back from his thoughts, the king cleared his throat. "Despite your actions, your title as heir is still in question," Inias was ready to protest, but Ivaran's bony hand stopped him. "This experience may have changed you, but I cannot trust my kingdom in your hands, hellion. Perhaps there is a place for your breed among our people, but that remains to be seen." He turned to Sylvis, who raised his eyes to meet the king with a triumphant smile on his face. "You displayed loyalty, strength, but you lack foresight. Your plan led my nephew right into Caelan's trap!" Ivaran's voice rose, and Inias couldn't help but smile as Sylvis shrunk back again and lowered his head.

"Forgive me..." Sylvis begged, as if reduced to a groveling prisoner. Ivaran observed Sylvis's groveling with disappointment, as the boy slowly backed away with trembling limbs. "However, you're both still young. Mistakes will be made and you've learned from yours," he said in a gentler voice, allowing Sylvis to meet his eyes again. "I have," the two answered more quickly than they intended, looking at each other.