Chapter 24

Inias woke up to a warm and wet sensation caressing his cheek. "Okay, okay I'm up!" He chuckled, gently patting Styx's head with closed eyes. The ground underneath him was as comfortable as a cloud, and Inias nestled against the soft pillow below his head before jumping up and scanning the surroundings. The crackling fireplace in his bedroom resembled a howling wolf, a cozy and warm atmosphere filled with the scent of sizzling bacon. Through the window, he could see the training field, the snow melted, and a warm breeze seeping through the cracks. Home.

Styx barked, and Inias turned to embrace him. Styx looked around with a tilted head, casting a sense of confusion. "We're home!" He kissed Styx gently between his eyes as he spoke. "Yeah, I'm just as confused as you, pal." After that tentacle had dragged him in, everything had gone black. Now, here he was, safe in his bed. Inias had several questions for Aubron about that portal stone, but he was just grateful to be home. It had been night and now sunlight streamed through the window, late into the morning.

Swinging his legs around, Inias remained clad in his burned and tattered coat. While heading to the bathroom, he tossed it onto a hook. Styx hurried to the bacon strips next to Inias' breakfast of eggs and sausages. To get to the bacon, the fox leaped onto the little stool next to Inias' chair. He patiently waited for Inias to come back from the restroom, then dove into the strips. As Inias sat down beside the fox, he wiped his face with a towel and reached out for a strip. With a growl, Styx snapped his teeth at Inias' hand. "Fine, no sausage for you!" Inias snatched them from his plate and took a big bite out of both.

Styx was too quick for Inias, swiftly ducking his head under Inias's hand to snag one into his mouth. Frustrated, Inias stuffed the other strip into his mouth and growled. "You let him eat at your table?" a guard dressed in black armor with a blade at his side asked. As they turned, Inias and Styx spotted the guard standing by the door. "Don't you mean 'may I enter, your highness'?" Inias countered as Aubron entered the room. "And you. Mind explaining that portal stone?!" That kind of magic is only allowed in emergencies, as it drew on fickle forces that are likely to backfire.

Aubron bent down to pet the fox while Styx hurried over. "That thing saved your life, young prince," Aubron bowed low to the boy. "Right," Inias nodded and placed a hand on Aubron's shoulder. "Thanks for saving us." Inias led him to sit upon the sofa by the fire, then went to grab his breakfast and Styx's, laying them on the sofa table.

"It was no trouble, really. Once we discovered you weren't Vayne's killer, I did some digging," Aubron explained as the two sat on either side of him, eating their breakfast while he went on. "I discovered that your father had questioned Lord Caelan before he left. The Rouan family had an overwhelming amount of debt, but miraculously they paid it off and became one of the wealthiest families in the Hallow."

"I remember..." Inias set his plate down and threw his feet up onto the table. "I used to pick on Vayne all the time. Hand me down everything." He almost laughed but caught himself cupping his mouth. Vayne held a deep hatred towards him, as he did everyone who'd mocked him. After what he did to Keira, he felt no regret for Vayne's death. If he were in Caelan's position, what would he have done? Would he have taken the Crescent's offer to save his clan? Offer his own people as a sacrifice to enrich himself? In desperate circumstances, Inias made regrettable choices that caused harm to his loved ones.

"Those poor boys..." Aubron shook his head and took a long deep breath, "Mere pawns for their clans. Lord Thorne never bothered to look for his son. In an attempt to hide his association with the Rouan's, he shifted the blame onto Rurik."

"Where is he now?" Inias asked. The only thing he knew about Rurik's connection to the Crescents was that he had sided with Vayne. "His majesty may have a temper, but he's no fool," Aubron went on as a servant entered the room to bring him a steaming cup of tea. "He allowed Varen to hunt Lord Thorne as retribution for his children's misfortune. Ivaran hoped it would mend the rift between them, but I fear it's only fated to grow further." There was sorrow in his voice as he watched the flames. Even his gentle tone couldn't soften the weight of his words.

Lord Varen lost all trust in the crown when Ivaran ordered the extermination of the Ravenmoons. Allowing him justice on the Thorne's didn't wipe away the years of persecution towards the Hellion clans. Despite Ivaran's actions, he was still his uncle and that couldn't be denied. Maybe Inias could be the one to repair the damage caused by Ivaran's rule once he became king. His uncle had plenty of time to ensure that any hope of peace would be impossible. Keira was his best friend; he couldn't imagine fighting against her. Could he betray the clan his father died defending?

With a loud groan, Inias shook his head and buried his face in his hands. Styx bounded around the couch and leapt up next to Inias, giving his cheek a lick. Aubron reached out to brush the fox's fur as Inias smiled again, pushing the fox's face away.

"One battle at a time, your highness," Aubron stood and bowed, "Your uncle has summoned you, Styx, and Sylvis to the throne room. He's growing impatient." Inias shivered and sprung to his feet, running towards the bathroom.

When Aubron heard the shower, he left the room and waited outside the door. "My lord," the guard beside him whispered, "Why put your faith in Inias? The court will never accept him." He continued, leaning in as his voice softened. "With a hellion on the throne, we can finally cleanse the court of this purist cancer." Aubron's tone fell into a growl as he explained, "Beyond his bigotries, Ivaran wants what's best for the Hallow. If Inias can prove himself a worthy successor, the throne will pass to him. It's a long shot, but I have faith."

Inias swung the door open dressed in black and a long flowing cloak with the royal seal pinned upon his breast. He clipped his father's dagger to his side and strapped his sword to his back. "Lose the weapons," the guard instructed him as Aubron looked at the dagger. "Keep the dagger." He said as Inias pulled the sword from his back, surrendering it to the guard.

Styx barked and ran out of the room, flattening his ears back, and nestling low onto the floor. His tail wiggled playfully as Inias reached down to ruffle up his fur. "We'll play outside, I promise. Uncle wants to see us." Styx whimpered but stood and followed the group down the halls. The sunlight streaming through the windows bathed the hallways in light. It felt so much brighter and inviting now. The warmth of spring was creeping in, and he took long, deep breaths to savor it.

"Is he in a good mood?" Inias asked Aubron, who walked beside him. "As good as expected. He's angry, but not at you." Aubron's words calmed the last of Inias' anxiety. He would worry about Varen later. They all made it home, Caelan was dead, and the Crescents were exposed. It was time to rest and prepare himself.