Chapter 2 - We're on a Trip to Nowhere

"No, no, no, no!  I can't just leave!  Especially since you don't even know where we're going!"  I exclaim.

   "I know it sounds crazy,"  Blake admits, "but we have to do this.  Please come with us, we need you,"  Blake begs.

   "Let me think," I reply.

   I walk deeper into the woods and start to run the conversation through my mind.  After about a minute, I know what I want.  I go to Blake and Amy.

   "I'll go," I answer.  "Let me just get all the things we need.  I'll be back in about thirty minutes."

   So, I think is I run to my home, out plan is to leave, go around the world, and hope that we find the other Elemental, if he's even still alive.  Not the best plan, but they need me.  Without me, they can't do this.   Wow, no pressure.  This is definitely going to take a lot out of me.

   I open the door, walk in, and Ethan is in the living room, about halfway through his pie.  He looks up at me and grins.  I stop the tears from coming.

   "Thanks for the pie, too bad there isn't enough to share.  Oh well."  Ethan taunts.  I ignore him and walk to my room.

   This is the hard part.  What should I use to carry my belongings?  I look in my tidy closet and find what I'm looking for.  My favorite messenger bag, which holds a ton of stuff, but still stays light.  It's like Hermione's bag, but not quite as cool.

    I collect jeans, tee-shirts, socks, and my other essentials.  I take a locket that has a picture of Ethan and my two foster parents.  I grab my four walkie-talkies, then I go down the kitchen.

   After collecting all the food that I can, I stuff all of it into my bag.  Now I have to leave.  I walk to the door.

   "Goodbye, Ethan."  I say as nonchalantly as I can.

   "Bye, be careful,"  he replies.

   "What?"  I ask.

   "Well, I want you to be careful wherever you go.  You are still are my little sister.  Be back at seven," he commands.

   "Oh,"  I say.  I can't help but feel a tinge of guilt.

   I walk out the door and go to the woods.  Blake and Amy are waiting there for me to arrive.  

   "Ok, let's go," I say in a shaking voice.  I avoid eye contact, in fear that I will start to cry.  Blake must understand, or just not notice, because he acts as if everything was perfectly normal.

   "We should be able to get out of Oregon soon.  We just need to get out of here, go through a pretty big forest, then we'll be out,"  Blake explains.

   I've never slept outside before, and I have never been out of Oregon.

   We leave the town, and it's already late.  I am exhausted.

    "Blake, can we go to sleep now?"  I beg.

   "I hate to say it, but I agree with Kaylee,"  Amy admits.

   "Ok, I'll be the look out.  You guys sleep.  I'll watch for the night,"  Blake says.

   Normally I would argue, but I'm too tired to.  We set up camp and I doze off.  When I wake, Blake is still watching, even though it is morning.  His back is facing me.

   "Blake, why didn't you wake me up?  You need sleep too!"  I yell.

   He shakes his head and turns around, and I see that he has bags under his eyes.  He looks surprised.

   "What is it?  Oh my gosh, do I have a spider on me?"  I ask.

   "No, it's nothing," he replies.

   "Blake, what is it?"  I say in a firm voice, sitting next to him.

   He looks away from me.  "You're as beautiful when you woke up as you were at the store."  He explains, looking back at me.

   I'm not sure whether to take that as an insult or a compliment.  From the way he said it, it's a compliment.  I feel my face blushing and I look away.  Then I realize that if any of us fall in love, it can jeopardize the mission.  "Flattery will get you nowhere."

   He obviously understands what I'm thinking.  "Kaylee, I don't mean it as in saying I like-like you.  I say it out of pure amazement.  You and Amy both," he explains.

   "You don't look too bad yourself," I respond.  He really looks kinda cute.  

   "Thanks, this is my natural 'I stayed up all night' look."  We each laugh.  "Let's wake Amy up.  We'll eat, then we'll get going."